Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbk25
    • Dec 2004

choosing the right format

a.)i have a video saved on my computer and i can play it using windows media player but i want to burn it onto a dvd so that i can watch it in a dvd player.
    b.) How do i tell what format that the video is in?

c.)Should and what should i download from this site.
    Digital Digest DivX XviD Software Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI software, latest news and updates

if you have another suggestion, i will gladly take it, i just want this site to know that i have made an effort instead of just putting it all on your shoulders.
    thanks for your time.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"What is the FULL filename?

Comment

• rbk25
      • Dec 2004

it is a .avi and is opening with windows media player. i have downloaded an avi to dvd/vcd/svcd converter and converted it to dvd but dvd shrink wont even recognize that the file is there. i am having the same problem with nero
      thanks for your reply

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• rbk25
          • Dec 2004

Thanks a lot, i will be sure to let you know how it goes. Once again thank you

Comment

• rbk25
            • Dec 2004

i am having trouble with the TMPGEnc program. i am using the wizard as you suggested but in the second step it asks me to select an audio file and then a video file. The audio and video are in the same file, so i tried to select the same file for both categories but it only works for the audio. When i select it for the video file, it says that it is an unsupported format. I would appreciate your help. thanks

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box
              Last edited by setarip; 6 Dec 2004, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• rbk25
                • Dec 2004

i have downloaded VirtualDub but when i try to open or drag the .avi file into the program, it tells me
                "couldnt locate decompressor for format DX50 (unknown)"

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

You have to download and install the DivX v.5.xxx video codec...

Comment

• rbk25
                    • Dec 2004

i can not figure out how to paste my print screen image into my reply so that you can take a look at the file information. i have tried copying and pasting from text file, jpeg file, and nothing seems to work. i cant paste it into notepad either.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"i can not figure out how to paste my print screen image into my reply"

It's no longer necessary. Again, you have to download and install the DivX v.5.xxx video codec...

Comment

• rbk25
                        • Dec 2004

i have the downloaded and installed the codec and used TMPGEnc to convert it to mpeg. It gave me two files. ONe is the audio file (wav sound) and the author is the video (mpeg media). I still cant seem to get nero or dvdshrink to recognize the two file types. PLease let me know what i am doing wrong or if you need additional info.

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"I still cant seem to get nero or dvdshrink to recognize the two file types."

That's because you have not yet done the following:

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

Comment

• rbk25
                            • Dec 2004

Thanks a lot Setarip for staying with me for so long. I am now watching the movie in my dvd player. Everything worked great. One thing i noticed even when watching the movie on the computer is that it is a little shaky or jerky. Do you know why this might be? Thanks for everything. I really appreciate your time.

Comment

• jmet
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2002

It could be several things, the blank media that was used, something might have been corrupt in the original .avi file, etc.

Comment

Working...