Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dene
    • Feb 2002

Burning SVCD ??

A friend bought round a movie on Sunday on 4 CDs, which we copied to my hard disc. They play perfectly from the hard disc using Windvd. I think this is a movie in SVCD format since the files are MPEG2 and are around 823,000kb in size.

I can't burn them onto CD using the burner software that I have. I assume that I should be using Nero in preference. Can anyone take me through the right steps?... PLease? Assume I have to start with the MPEG file and burnt it using SVCD setting in Nero??
    Is there anything I have to watch out for? Thanks!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sounds like you figured it all out...

Comment

• dene
      • Feb 2002

Yes - Nero does the trick. But... it won't burn the 3rd CD of 4 (burns all the others ok). On checking the file it tells me that it detects streaming video which is incompatible with a SVCD format. It offers me the option of reformating the file, but then flashes the message unsupported file type. I can't open the file with Flask or TMPGenc either. The file plays perfectly in Windvd however, so it can't be that corrupt. Do I have an option other than borrowing the original CD again and doing a direct copy?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

The only reason to burn them as SVCDs is if you intend to watch them ona television hooked up to a standalone DVD player. If you just want to watch them om your computer , simply burn them as Data CDs - which should play just the way the hard drive versions play on your PC.

Comment

• Tant Mutti
          • Mar 2002

burning svcd

You have to check how many minutes your burner can burn.
          My old HP 8100 could just burn 76.20 minutes.
          And if your file was 823000 kb that is about 78-79 minutes.
          My new plexwriter AT4010 can burn 95 minutes.

Comment

• dene
            • Feb 2002

Thanks for the advice. However, I don't seeem to be able to burn these files as normal data CDs - they are simply too big. What I'd did for the other three files was burn them to an image using Nero, and then burn the image to disc. With the third segment, Nero would not burn the file as a svcd (as previously explained) and would not burn as a data CD (too big). So...

I heard about an application called VCDGear, and gave that a try. Put in my file Avseq01 and asked VCDGear to convert from MPEG to MPEG with the option "fix MPEG errors" checked. On the second attempt (first attempt split the file into three) it has produced an MPEG file that Nero has at last consented to burn to an image. Looks as though it will fit (although I'll have to wait until the end of the working day to try burning it!).

I had no idea that different CD Burners would burn different amounts to disc. Mine seems to fall over at about 83mb - I have burnt image files of over 80mb, but one of 83mb that I tried the other day wouldn't burn.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Mine seems to fall over at about 83mb - I have burnt image files of over 80mb, but one of 83mb that I tried the other day wouldn't burn."

You've dropped a zero off each of these filesizes (unless you meant minutes rather than megabytes) ;>}

Comment

• dene
                • Feb 2002

Yeah - careless of me!!! Read 800mb and 803mb (My burner seems to be pretty finicky about file sizes). I couldn't believe it when it wouldn't burn the 803mb file. Nero told me I'd have to use CD-RW discs. The previous day I'd burnt three files, two of which were over 800mb...

BTW thanks for your help.

Comment

• dene
                  • Feb 2002

All now burnt successfully

Thanks to all for advice

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

Congratulations! Glad to have been of (a wee bit) of assistance ;>}

Comment

Working...