• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unicon
    • Mar 2002

Avi to Mpeg-video general question

Newbie query here.

Can someone shed some quick light on this issue:

Why do some AVI files using tmpgenc compress to a smaller mpeg file size, while others AVI files increase to mpeg file that is 5x the initial AVI file size, which makes it kinda ridiculous to burn to CD if it's a 600mb file to begin with and goes to 3gb?

Ex: Say I have a 700mb AVI movie file. Shouldn't I be able to burn that to CD with Nero, after I convert it to mpeg1-video using tmpgenc? At the least it should not go beyond 2x it's size, right, whereupon I could use the splitter within tmpgenc?

Thanks,
    Unicon
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Assuming they're all DivX-compressed .AVI files and all other things are equal, when using TMPGEnc to simply convert to MPEG1-VideoCD (NOT SuperVideoCD) format, the resultant file will never be smaller than the DivX-compressed .AVI. Additionally, your theory is correct - the resultant file should typically be somewhere in the neighborhood of twice the .AVI filesize.

Having a 600Mb DivX-compressed .AVI result in a 3Gb MPEG "something" file would seem to indicate that you've, perhaps, inadvertently altered some setting(s) in TMPGEnc - such as setting it to MPEG2-SuperVideoCD in error.

Comment

Working...