X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfboy
    • Feb 2002

Joining SVCD Mpeg2 files together?

Hi

I'm trying to join together several mpeg2 files. I've tried a bunch of editors/joiners, but with no success.

For this example, say there are two mpeg2 streams with audio and video called stream1 and stream2. I want to make stream3=stream1+stream2.

If I use the joining functions of tmpgenc, the joined video is fine, but the audio of stream2 is way out of sync as soon as stream2 starts.

I've tried other mode simple joining programs, and they produce a stream3 with no audio/video sync problems. The problem though is that the timecode is invalid, and although some programs like PowerDVD will play the whole file OK, I'd like to use my H+ realmagic card and output to TV, and it stops at the end of stream1.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to avoid having to demux the audio and video, and join them seperately before re-muxing it together. It seems that a simple program should be able to do what I want, but I haven't come across it yet ;-(

Thanks,

Token
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If, as you state in the subject, these two files are in MPEG2-SuperVideoCD (NOT simply MPEG2) format, try the following under TMPGEnc:

1) Load the first file into "Merge&Cut"
    2) Set the mode to "plain vanilla" MPEG2 (NOT MPEG2-VideoCD)
    3) Enter a new filename in the "Output" box and save the file

4) Repeat steps1 through 3 for the second file

5) Shut down and restart TMPGEnc (as a precaution)

6) Load BOTH files into "Merge&Cut"

7) If you desire to create an SVCD, set mode to "MPEG2-SuperVideoCD". If you desire to create a "plain vanilla" MPEG2, set mode to "MPEG2"

8) Enter a new filename in the "Output" box and save the file

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• tfboy
      • Feb 2002

Still no joy

Thanks for the suggestion, setarip, but still no joy...

What I get using your method is the second joined file has audio/video out of sync.

I've played around a bit, and figured out what happens:
      - At the end of the video of stream1, the video of stream2 starts, as expected.
      - However, the audio of stream2 starts before stream1's has ended, i.e. audio of stream2 interrupts audio and video of stream1. The advance is around a minute or so (I think - I haven't actually measured it).

However, the timecode is OK, and the stream3 file plays back fine, albeit with audio out of sync from the middle onwards.

When I find some time, I'll try with another SVCD. My goal is to merge all 4 CDs of Lord Of The Rings into one 3.3 Gig mpeg2 file . Call me a but I just want to view a whole movie through my Hollywood+ card without interruption to load each mpeg2 segment

On a sidenote, you mentioned in your suggestion forcing plain vanilla and not svcd when loading files. What's the difference between the two? Is it just header information? It can "manipulate" the video because it just muxes/demuxes it with the audio...??? Or have I completely misunderstood the whole thing?

Thanks for your ideas...

BTW, I don't know if you remember a post I did a little while ago regarding an mpeg2 player for Mac. I didn't have any success Those damn quicktime programmers ought to be

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

" Is it just header information?"

Yes. I am a firm believer (and most conversion software seems to prove me right) in the premise of K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid. It seems that additional headers appearing in the middle of a "join" operation usually foulup the continuity...

"However, the audio of stream2 starts before stream1's has ended, i.e. audio of stream2 interrupts audio and video of stream1."

That's extremely hard to believe. Are you sure the audiostream of "Part 1" doesn't end early - before you've attempted to join the files?

Comment

• tfboy
          • Feb 2002

It isn't bad files at the start

Hi setarip.

To answer your question, no it's not the audio that ends early in the original.

The original two files both have audio of equal duration to the video (within about 0.1 seconds). I can't figure out why the end of the audio of stream1 would have been chopped off.

Still a mystery

It looks like the only simple way is to demux audio and video, join audio and video independtly, and then remux the joined audio with the joined video.

I just can't believe you can't do it all in one go.

At some point, I'll try it with another of my 2x SVCD movies. It may just be Monsters Inc (the one I've tried so far) is a bit special, but others would be fine.

Token

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"It may just be Monsters Inc (the one I've tried so far) is a bit special, but others would be fine."

One can only hope... :>}

Comment

• tfboy
              • Feb 2002

Hehe

Just before you think I've found a solution, setarip, rest assured, I haven't

But, I'm not the only one with the problem.

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

So it looks like it's a general problem. Any further suggestions?

Looks like a complete de-multiplex then join then remultiplex is the only way

Token

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

I continue to use the older v.1.2c of TMPGEnc for all merge and cut activities. I assume you're using a more recent version, perhaps2.5xx. If so, perhaps the answer lies there...

Comment

Working...