Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgolobay
    • Dec 2001

Sound Track Is Off

I can't get my Panasonic DMR-E20 to play a VCD no matter what I do. I've tried every compatability option Nero offers and the player out in the living room just does this wierd stutter start-n-stop kind of thing.

So, I've been trying to convert the MPEG-2 files to MPEG-1 and burn a VCD. I've had limited luck since the soundtrack is always out of sync with the video. After checking a few things, I found that the original MPEG-2 file's soundtrack is off too. Then I remembered that some of these files were extracted using IsoBuster to pull the MPG file out of a BIN. I had to do this since Nero reports that it my recorder cannot handle TAO.

Any ideas on which step I'm screwing up or how to do this differently?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Is the length of the original audio stream identical to that of the video stream?

If not, you can open the audio stream in an audio editor such as GoldWave (CoolEdit and others) and either add silent space at the beginning if the audio is running ahead of the video or (less than a perfect solution) trim a little of the audio stream off at the beginning if the audio is running behind the video.

Not to worry, if you don't have a separate audio file, as GoldWave can extract the audio stream from the multiplexed MPEG file.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• mgolobay
      • Dec 2001

Thank you so much for the editing ideas.

The video and audio source are still multiplexed into the original MPG. I can use tmpGenc to demux them but then I'm a little confused on how to edit to get the audio to sync up with the video.

In the case I'm looking at now the audio track is several seconds behind the video. So, if I ever find a free editor (I'm too broke to buy one right now) I pump in some silence to get them closer. Then I have to remux and burn to see how close I got, then do the whole thing over and over again until I get them exact. Right? Is there an editor that will show me both streams and let me manipulate them and play until they match?

Thanks again..

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"So, if I ever find a free editor (I'm too broke to buy one right now)"

I believe that if you go to the GoldWave site, you'll find that the program is available for free download...

Comment

• mgolobay
          • Dec 2001

Well I installed Goldwave. Demuxed the mp2 audio portion of the movie that's out of sync, inserted silence as my first guess on how to get them closer, downloaded "lame" so I could save an mp3, and then had tmpGenc refuse to remux the mp3. It just said it was an illegal format. I can play the mp3 in winamp with no problems and can hear the one second silence I've inserted.

I'm beginning to think this isn't worth all the bother to fix. I don't know if there's any movie that is worth a whole day of fiddling with files like this.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Try saving the modified audio stream as a WAV (Uncompressed PCM 16 bit) file instead...

Comment

• mgolobay
              • Dec 2001

That's where I started. TmpGenc refuses to remux it.

Comment

• mgolobay
                • Dec 2001

In fact, I keep getting files in which the sound track is about a second behind the video. Its maddening. Also, Windows Media Player 7.1 is acting strange. Sometimes it says "Changing Media" and never comes back. Sometimes while it is playing a video it won't let me use any of the controls and I have to kill the program with task manager.

I wanted to clean out any old non-standard codecs I had laying about and start over. So I went to the device manager, found video codecs, went to properties and started deleting. When I exited and came back, the codecs were still there. Does anyone know how to really remove codecs and/or what is causing WM Player to act this way?

Thanks...

Comment

Working...