X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vectra
    • Apr 2002

Help - VCD dos't run smooth!!

Hi guys

I have a problem, so I hope you guys can help me, please....
    I use VirtualDub to ectract the sound to a Wav file and then TmpgEnc to convert from DivX to VCD.

When I see the movie in my standalone DVD player, the movie is not running "full motion!!!" (it is hard to explain) When the camera runs from one side to another, it is like there is very small "stops" in the movie. It dos't run as smooth as a DVD og a VHS movie.

I use Highest quality in Motion search precision in TmpgEnc, and the movie has a frame rate of 23,976. I have try another standalone DVD player, and it is the same. I have VCD that I haven´t made my self and they are looking fine. I hope somone can help me.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Does your burned VCD (NOT the file on your hard drive) play smoothly on your PC? If so, then the problem lies with your standalone DVD player.

If it also doesn't play smoothly on your PC, try using the "Normal" motion search setting in TMPGEnc, instead of "Highest Quality".

What necessitated extracting the audio as a .WAV file from the .AVI, rather than simply loading the multiplexed .AVI into TMPGEnc? Was the audiostream in AC3 or VBR-MP3 format? If the audiostream is a simple Constant Bit Rate format (either MP3 or PCM), there's no reason to extract the audio. Usually, the fewer changes, the better the results...

Comment

• Vectra
      • Apr 2002

Hi Setarip

It's the same when I play the burned VCD on my computer, I have also try 4 standalone DVD players now, with the same resualt. I have a bran new Thomson DTH5000 DVD player, and movies I don't make my self seems to run fine.

I have try using the "Normal" motion search setting in TMPGEnc, with same resualt. Could it be the AVI file? But the agian, when I play the AVI file on my computer, it runs smoothly.

Under "Audio Stream" in the program AVI File Info is shows: 85 - MP3 Audio Layer. If I don't extract the audio, it vil take about 3 to 4 hours to convert.

Is there another program I can use? Could it be the way I burn it? I use Neo. And to try with, I use a RW cd. Is there a program like Avi info just for mpg/dat files?

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Under 'Audio Stream' in the program AVI File Info is shows: 85 - MP3 Audio Layer. If I don't extract the audio, it vil take about 3 to 4 hours to convert. "

If you don't try, you won't know. Are you merely interested in speed, or in a properly playing file?

What are ALL the settings you using in TMPGEnc?

Also, now that you've established that the burned CD is faulty, I would ask if the VCD file on your hard drive plays properly on your PC. If it does, you may have a problem with your burner...
        Last edited by setarip; 13 Apr 2002, 02:27 AM.

Comment

• Vectra
          • Apr 2002

The file seems to run fine from my hard drive

For my settings in TmpgENC I am using the standart template - VideoCD (NTSCFilm)

Would it be possible for you maby to sendt me the tamplate you are using, so I could see if it made any difference?

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

I don't use a template/wizard. I do the following to create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
            2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
            3) Click on "Setting" radio button
            4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
            5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
            6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
            7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - for highest quality set "Motion Search Precision" to "Highest Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
            8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)
            9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
            10) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file)

Comment

Working...