X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jebojp
    • Apr 2002

subtitles

Question:

Is it possible to put subtitles on a VCD (mpeg 1 file) so that it shows when playing on a standalone player?
    It's maybe a stupid question but i can't find a way of doing it.

jebojp
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

MPEG1/MPEG1-VideoCD format does NOT include the ability to add subtitles.

You could however, incorporate PERMANENT subtitles at the time of conversion from DVD, by using Flask and selecting a subtitle stream as part of the conversion...

Comment

• potzy
      • Apr 2002

Hello. Tihs is my first posting.
      I was going to ask the same question regarding Subtitles. I have just successfully converted my first DVD to VCD using SmartRipper/DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc. Will DivX allow subtitle encoding ? Also..how can you tell which is the subtitle file on a DVD ?
      I look forward to your reply Setarip..you seem to be one of the most prolific/knowledgable posters in this forum.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To potzy (How's the Fonz?)

"Will DivX allow subtitle encoding ? Also..how can you tell which is the subtitle file on a DVD ?

As I stated in my previous post (applicable to DivX-compressed .AVIs and others):

You could however, incorporate PERMANENT subtitles at the time of conversion from DVD, by using Flask and selecting a subtitle stream as part of the conversion...

If you use Flask, or one of its derivatives (XMPEG, XIS, etc.), instead of DVD2AVI (which I've never used), if you select "Load DVD" (NOT "Load File") you'll see a full listing of of videostream choices, audiostream choices, and subtitle stream choices (with languages noted)...

Comment

Working...