Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amd
    • Apr 2002

divx to VCD

Hi I am a beginner and I was wondering how to convert divx to vcd?

Any advice appreciated

amd
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you're downloading DivX files, you may run into some that were created using either a video codec or an audio format that will require additional steps before you can create a VCD. That aside, this is what I do to create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
    2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    3) Click on "Setting" radio button
    4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
    6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
    7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - for highest quality set "Motion Search Precision" to "Highest Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
    8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)
    9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
    10) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file)

Comment

• amd
      • Apr 2002

I tried loading the .avi file into TMPGEnc as you said, and it said it wasn't a supported file type? is there a way to fix this?

Also -- VCD's can they be put to VHS tapes or avi's?
      I would like to know how to hook my pc up to the vcr and be able to put episodes to my harddrive, and take what is already downloaded to a rom. Is this possible?
      Amd (a beginner)

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

In order to determine what video codec and what audio codec/format were used to create the file, do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• amd
          • Apr 2002

Virtual dub info as requested

Here is the screencapture after it going through the virtual dub.

I would like to be able to get alot of files off my harddrive, and convert them to vcd's and put them to rom's so I hope you can help me....I need to clear up some room to take the tower into get more harddrive put on....

Thanks for your help and your time responding.
          Amd
          Attached Files

Comment

• amd
            • Apr 2002

virtual dub info #2

Hi Sorry, I checked the attachment after uploading don't know if you'll be able to read it or not, so here it is again hopefully bigger and readable. Let me know if you need it again.

Sorry for the double post.
            Amanda
            Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

This file's video was compressed with the recently released DivX v.5.01 codec, which TMPGEnc cannot presently handle.

Assuming you have BOTH the DivX v.5.01 and DivX v.3.11 codecs installed on your system, you'll have to convert the file as follows, to change codecs (compression) used:

1) Load the .AVI into VirtualDub

2) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

3) Set "Video" to "Full Stream Processing"

4) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Compression"

5) Select the DivX v.3.11alpha codec ("Fast Motion") - If possible, set the adjustable settings to the same as the original file - otherwise just use the default settings

6) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for the modified file

Comment

Working...