Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wcgilbert
    • Apr 2002

Need Some Help

Need some help. Every time I try to load an AVI file I've downloaded into any of the programs mentioned on this forum (i.e., TMEPGnc, VirtualDub, LSX, etc.), I get an error message and the program closes. In other words, I can't get past loading a file. I've got to believe I have a problem with my system (WinMe), somewhere. The AVI files play fine on Windows Media Player 7.01. Anybody have an ideas?? I'll provide any additional info to questions asked. Thanks......
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Based on the programs you've listed, the problem is either (or both) a video codec (DivX v.5.xx) or an audiostream format VBR-.MP3, or .AC3) that they can't process. For specific information, do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• wcgilbert
      • Apr 2002

RE:Need some help

I've attached a jpg of the screen dump. I can't even load the file. None of the programs get that far!!! None of them............
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) The screendump you've providedis what you usually see if you've tried to use VirtualDub to CONVERT a flawed file, not merely load the file into VirtualDub.

Do me a favor - open VirtualDub and simply "drag and drop" the .AVI file onto it. Then select "File Information" from the "File" dropdown menu - and post a screendump.

If, in fact, VirtualDub actually crashes from this activity, then instead, you can obtain (and post) somewhat more limited information by doing the following:

From within Explorer, rightclick on the file and click on "Properties". Select the "Details" tab. Although it won't provide as much information, post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box.

Comment

• wcgilbert
          • Apr 2002

RE:Need some help

You are right, I do want to convert in order to burn a VCD of video. Setarip, I attempted to drag the file into VirtualDub as you requested, it immediately crashed. I went into Explorer and these are the file details:

Media Length: 54Min 26.100 sec

Audio Format: MPEG Layer 3, 96 Kbits/s
          48,000 Hz, Stereo

Video Format: 352 x 208, 65,322 Frames
          20 Frames/sec, 61KB/sec
          Unknown Format

Thanks again for any help................

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Quite frankly, I'm mystified. The only other thing I can suggest is that you follow the VirtualDub author's suggestion - When it crashes, click on "Save" and send him the error log (Let him know that it crashes upon LOADING the file, not during conversion - DON'T mention DivX. If you do, he'll ignore you)...

The more I think about it, the more it does (as you suggested) sound like a system problem - perhaps a corrupt .DLL file or similar...
            Last edited by setarip; 29 Apr 2002, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• wcgilbert
              • Apr 2002

Re: Need some help

For the heck of it I tried the file on another computer running Windows 98. Exact same thing!! Runs in Windows Media Player but can't load in anything else. I do as you suggested. Thank you very much for your help.............

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

My pleasure, although I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide a "magic bullet" to solve your problem.

Did I misinterpret your problem? Is it only ONE file that problematic, or are you having this problems with MULTIPLE files (which is how I interpreted your post) you've downloaded?

If it's only one, write it off as a corrupt or phony file - because that's the risk you take when you're downloading rather than creatring your own files...

Comment

• wcgilbert
                  • Apr 2002

Re: Need some help

It is more than just one file. It's strange it happens with two difffferent computers with two different OS. The common thread is latest IE6 with latest Media Player. Maybe something there???

Comment

Working...