Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yammermoosh
    • May 2002

.avi to .mpg conversion problem with TMPGEnc

I'm sorry if this is re-hashing an old topic, i've tried to find a problem in this forum but being of the non-technical jargon understanding type i haven't been able to.

My problem is this, i have downloaded .avi files which require the smr codec to work. I can get the file to play on media player but what i really want to do is convert it to mpeg1 so i can burn a vcd. I usually use TMPGEnc for this however when i tried to encode this particular file it does the first few frames and then stops and says there is an error and it can't do it. I can't remember the exact error and i'm not on the PC i use to do this at the current time. I was wondering if anyone knows why this might be happening. I downloaded bbMPG ( i think thats the name) and it came up with " an error has been generated need to shut down bbMPG.exe" or something like that.

I am wondering whether it has something to do with the smr thing (though i'm not entirely sure what that means, all i know is i needed the codec patch to get it to work).

Can anybody give me an idiots guide as to how to encode these files to mpeg1 (i have a number of them i want to do) please?

Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you can make the effort to post the EXACT language of the errors being generated by the two programs, it's possible some meaningful insight could then be provided...

Comment

• yammermoosh
      • May 2002

sorry i couldn't give better descriptions i wrote the post at work and couldn't remember the errors.

TMPG gave this error - "Error writing to stream"

bbMPEG gave this error - "avi2mpg2.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being generated."

i looked at the info as the bbMPEG tried to encode and the file endings of the input video and audio were .m1v for the video and .mp2 for the audio (i don't know if these are normal or not hence i am writing them here).

as i said before the .avi file requires the SMR codec in order for windows media player to play it and i don't know if this is the problem.

If you can give any help at all it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try first using VirtualDub to convert the original .AVI to a "normal" DivX v.3.11 format...

Comment

• yammermoosh
          • May 2002

i've downloaded virtual dub and i've looked in the help files but i can't find out how to do what you've suggested... all it basically says about conversion is that you open the file and then save it as .avi and it does the rest from what i see, is that going to create the file i need or do i need to amend some settings for it to save as the divx file? i've looked on the virtual dub site too but i still can't find the information i need...

thanks for your help so far

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

(Assumimg you've got the DivX v.3.11 codec installed on your system)To change codecs (compression) used:

1) Load the .AVI into VirtualDub

2) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

3) Set "Video" to "Full Stream Processing"

4) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Compression"

5) Select the DivX v.3.11alpha codec - If possible, set the adjustable settings to the same as the original file

6) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for the modified file

Comment

• sleeperagent
              • May 2002

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as him but when i did what u just mentioned, I couldn't see any divx 3.11 there...the closest one is divx 4.???
              "Join the Army, meet interesting people and kill them"

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Then substitute the DivX 4 codec in the directions I've provided...

Comment

• yammermoosh
                  • May 2002

thanks for your help, i changed the settings as you stated but got an error (which i'm not going to go into as i don't have the info!) so i looked in the read me file and used the settings it said in there (that i got when i downloaded 3.11 alpha) which were to direct stream copy the video and change the audio to 64kbps for Divx, this gave a .avi file which looked ok in media player though i haven't checked the lip synching. TMPG managed to encode the file without throwing up errors its just very blocky so i have to look elsewhere for a solution to that, i may try re-adjusting the settings of virtualdub and doing it again to see what happens i may possibly need to change the mpeg enoding to include more I frames.

Thank you again for your help

Comment

• yammermoosh
                    • May 2002

just to say i think i have found a possible solution to my problem so will try downloading tlbro template for TMPG and changing the vertical resolution as suggested in another thread

Comment

• sleeperagent
                      • May 2002

One more question... I downloaded this smr.avi file, but my players wouldn't open it. It says file is not supported or corrupted. Is there a way to fix corrupted file??? thank you.
                      "Join the Army, meet interesting people and kill them"

Comment

Working...