• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1sy
    • May 2002

TMPGenc : NTSC or NTSC movie ?

I'm tried few settings and confused a little :
    If I'm choosing NTSC movie I'm getting default 23.976 fps and
    can't change it to 29.97. Anyway I tried to do encoding - it's looking sharp bot movie not smooth.
    If I'm choosing just NTSC - I'm getting 29.97 fps , the movie is smooth, but it less sharp.
    I'm trying few setiings for each of them NTSC/NTSC movie :
    1. 2VBR,High quality slow,Even-odd field adaptation,YUV enable,Quantize matrix -MPEG standart. No other filters.
    2. 2VBR ,High quality slow. Odd field adapt.No other filters.Quantize matrix-default.
    I have Panasonic PV-DV951 - Firewire to Studio 7- save as
    AVI with DV compression - TMPGenc.
    I'll appriciate any coments.
    Thanks
    Sergey
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

VCDHELP.COM has TMPGenc explained. There are numerous filters and options you can apply, that can make a significant difference. the "noise reduction" filter is a good choice, also increase the "motion search precision" to a higher value. The 'quantize matrix' tab value also makes a difference. There's also other filters for you too choose from.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

A small addendum to Batman's suggestions - Since it's apparent taht you're using TMPGEnc's templates/wizards, be advised that in order to access the many options available, you'll first have to click on the "Load" radio button and then select "Unlock.mcf".

Comment

• a1sy
        • May 2002

It doesn't help

Thanks Batman
        But it doesn't help. I'm reading everything in vcdhelp.com about
        TMPGenc but found just that you can choose NTSC or NTSC movie.
        So, I'm not talking about filters and quantanization , but Frame
        PER SECOND. So, if my source NTSC dig.camcorder I believe it's - 29.97 fps. Even if I'm doing editing with Studio DV7 and saving it
        as AVI DV compression - it should be anyway 29.97 fps, isn't it?
        I want to try NTSC movie mode but as said bellow it's lookind
        sharp but not smooth. In NTSC movie mode icon for FPS not available to change - it has defaul 23.97fps ( internally 29.97 fps).
        What does it mean "internally 29.97fps" ?

Sergey

Comment

• Chyron
          • Jun 2002

NTSC and NTSC movie

Sorry to disappoint you, Sergey, but "NTSC film" is setting for telecined cinematographic movies - 24 fps slowed to 23,976 with sound repitching and then converted to 29,97 using mumbo-jumbo called 3:2 pulldown (well, PAL or even our SECAM telecine is SO much simplier and prettier . Image looks better due to higher amount of data available for each frame.

Thus as your source naturally is 29,97(no synthetic frames), it won't be smooth in this mode - many frames just will be dropped.

NTSC "native" - i believe this is your choice, but i'm sure that standart bitrate is smaller than needed. So if you encode video not in standart VCD compliant (1150 kbps) way but with higher bitrate , you can get rid of problem - experiment with that. But standalone players can refuse to play this movie, NOT WMP though.

P.S. Ironically, i use "NTSC film" for encoding PAL/SECAM films - just slow them down from 25 to 23,976 fps and do the strretch sound. Actually, they looks better than "PAL" mode VCD , especially if they had lot of motion, despite vertical resolution decrease.

Comment

• a1sy
            • May 2002

Thanks

Thanks to Setarip and Chyron
            I did this "Unlock.mcf" and I can change a lot of things.
            It's working now with 29.97 fps and I'm trying with the highest bit rate- up to 5000. It's look better , but I need to check if I can see it on my DVD. And I need to check if it any problem to burn CD with higher bit rate. Anyway it's working , I'll figure out future settings.
            Thanks guys

Comment

Working...