X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeanMike
    • Dec 2001

audio prob. fine on dvd-rom... bad on dvd

read below....

video speeds up and slows down, audio fine...

thanks, Mike
    Last edited by MeanMike; 1 Jan 2002, 05:33 AM.
  • MeanMike
    • Dec 2001

i did a search on this problem.. it seems other people, with a very similiar prob, are using the same burning software as I am.. NERO

Is this a known Nero problem?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Have you created a VCD on a DVDRom or on a CD-R?

I ask this because some standalone DVD players have a hardtime playing VCDs (CD) that have 48,000Khz sound - although they exhibit no such problem with DVDs with 48,000Khz sound.

Comment

• MeanMike
        • Dec 2001

using a CDR... the more i watch it... the more i think its the video that gets slowed down, then speeds up again. I think the audio may not actually be the problem...

maybe im just a lost cause...

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"maybe im just a lost cause... "

Don't give up on yourself (yet) ;>}

Try creating the VCD file(s) with TMPGEnc (instead of NERO) and using NERO to burn only (select VCD under NERO, of course).

Under TMPGEnc, make certain that after pressing the "Setting" radio button, click on the "System" tab and change from the default "MPEG1" to "MPEG1-Video CD" (It will still say "MPEG1" under the "Video" tab, but that's correct, as the only two choices for that tab are "MPEG1" or "MPEG2").

I've got faith in you, MeanMike...

Comment

• MeanMike
            • Dec 2001

setarip, YOU ARE GOOD!

I have been using TMPGEnc to make the vcds, but you caught the something. I DID have it mpeg1 not 'mpeg1-video cd'

Under TMPGEnc, make certain that after pressing the "Setting" radio button, click on the "System" tab and change from the default "MPEG1" to "MPEG1-Video CD" (It will still say "MPEG1" under the "Video" tab, but that's correct, as the only two choices for that tab are "MPEG1" or "MPEG2").
            a question about the audio tab.what is the difference between the stream type of "MPEG-1 Audio Layer l" and "MPEG-1 Audio Layer ll"?

thanks again setarip!!!!!
            I appreciate all your help

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

My pleasure ;>}

As to your last question (MPEG1 vs. MPEG2 Audio), the Philips website provides this technical answer:

"Resume of the question:
              What are the benefits of using ISO/IEC 13818-3 (MPEG2 audio) over ISO/IEC 11172-3 (MPEG1 audio)?

Answer:
              The reason to standardize ISO/IEC 13818 is different for audio and video.
              It is common knowledge that for video, MPEG2 aims towards higher bit rates and broadcast quality.
              For audio, MPEG1 at bit rates above approximately 100 kb/s/ch already provides an excellent sound quality. Bit rates higher than 128 kb/s/ch are only required in some professional applications where additional coding margin for e.g. cascaded coding is desirable.

Compared to MPEG1 audio, MPEG2 audio has two extensions:

Low Sampling Frequency extension (also referred to as "MPEG2/LSF"). Additional sampling frequencies 16kHz, 22.05kHz and 32kHz are introduced. The purpose is to improve sound quality at lower bit rates (64 kb/s/ch and lower).
              Multi-channel extension. The purpose is to support various configurations of multi-channel audio, up to the so called 5.1 configuration (Five full-range channels and a "low frequency enhancement" channel). For DVD, a compatible extension to 7.1 is defined.
              For use in single- or two-channel applications, MPEG1 covers most of the needs. In single- or two-channel applications where low bit rates are important and bandwidth may be implicitly limited, MPEG2/LSF can be used.

Due to implicit compatibility, an MPEG1 Audio decoder will reproduce a stereo downmix if it is fed with an MPEG2 multi-channel bit stream.
              If multi-channel audio has to be encoded and if a multi-channel bit stream must be reproduced over more than two audio channels, specific MPEG2 equipment must be used."

Comment

• MeanMike
                • Dec 2001

the video still speeds up and slows down on its own.. causing the video/audio to be out of sync...

from another post i got these TMPGEnc settings that i am using

Video Tab:
                MPEG-1 Video
                tried both 352x288 and 352x240 under the video/advanced tabs
                aspect ratio 4:3 525 line (ntsc)
                frame rate of 23.976

advanced tab:
                4:3 525 line [704x480] NTSC

system tab:
                MPEG-1 Video-CD

burning with Nero, I turn off compliance because i get an error with the Audio (something about layer II)

my stand alone DVD player is a RCA, and I bought it specifically because it says it will play VCD's. it sure does play them, just not correctly, or could be it NERO?

thanks again
                Mike

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"frame rate of 23.976"

Unless the file you are converting was ORIGINALLY CREATED at 23.976 frames per second, DO NOT change the TMPGEnc setting to 23.976 (Leave it at the framerate that TMPGEnc read from the file).

Changing the framerate will most certainly out your file out of synch ;>}

Comment

• MeanMike
                    • Dec 2001

i believe it was originally read at 23.976

i dont believe i changed it... but if i did, that would cause the video to speed up and slow down all by itself?

the video will speed up past the audio, then slow down.. sometimes catching back up to the audio and being in sync again

maybe im just in denial its my dvd player

its a new player, and its supposed to play VCD's. so maybe ill say its defective and try to get another if my currect VCD's work on another player.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"but if i did, that would cause the video to speed up and slow down all by itself?"

Yup! If you'd care to experiment, save a small, two minutes or so, .AVI (with audio, of course) at 29.97 framerate. Play it to make certain that it is properly synched. Load it into VirtualDub. Make certain that both "Video" and "Audio" are set to "Direct Stream Copying". Under "Video", select "Framerate" and select "Change to" and enter 23.976. Save as a new filename.

Run the new file - watch and listen carefully ;>}

By the way, you never did respond to my question about whether the file has 48,000Khz or 44,100 Khz audio.

Comment

• MeanMike
                        • Dec 2001

i made sure i had the correct framerate, luckily i did not change it.

sorry about missing your question.. i experimented using both 41.1khz and 48.0 khz.. it made no difference. i am sure now video is 100% the problem.

After burning i looked at the file extension, and it does have a .vcd extention (along with a couple of others is other folders which i have no clue what they do).

i need some more experimenting.. possibly different CDR's, different burning software, different dvd players also maybe....

after closely looking at the details of the full avi movie and the cut avi movie (that i cut using virtual dub) i see a difference..... the full movie says "72 kb/sec" the smaller cut version says "68kb/sec". another problem that must be fixed?
                        Last edited by MeanMike; 1 Jan 2002, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...