Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • De Joker
    • Aug 2002

Jerky playback (jitters) on DVD player

I read several of the other posts about jerky playback or jitters, but none of them is exactly the same as mine. I have encoded several vcd now (from divx to vcd) with tmpgenc. All of them have jerky spots where the playback stops for a second and then resumes. When i play them on my pc they play smooth. I tried different settings in tmpgenc (normal, high quality, 1 pass and 2 pass) but all give the same result. Suggestions needed.

Thanks, Robert
  • gd_nimrod
    • Nov 2002

There might be a few reasons why you experience jerky playback:

1. Your dvd player does not "like" the brand of media that you are burning on, regardless of the fact that they play fine on your pc.
    2. Try burning your discs slower (what speed are you burning at now?) to decrease the chance of the dvd player not being able to read the vcd perfectly.

Also, check out this site to see what types of media your standalone is capable of playing.
    Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• De Joker
      • Aug 2002

Thanks nimrod, i will try some quality cd-r's. The first couple of vcd's were burned on basf (emtec) cd-r's, probably not the best quality.

After that i burned only on cd-rw's (after encoding using diffentent settings) to try and fix the problem.

The first couple (cd-r's) were burned at 4x. I did try higher speeds but than the picture would break into blocks from time to time during playback. The slowest my writer (liteon ltr 48126s) will burn is 4x.

I have played the cd-r's on 2 different dvd players (daewoo, norcent).

Thanks again, i will post back after i tried different brands cd-r's.

Robert

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Make certain that audio frequency is set to 44,100Hz and NOT 48,000Hz...

Comment

• sneglen
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Oct 2002

To setarip

"Make certain that audio frequency is set to 44,100Hz and NOT 48,000Hz..."

I thought you couldn't burn VCD's with 48,000Hz sound wouldn't the burning program say its not a valid file???

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To sneglen

"I thought you couldn't burn VCD's with 48,000Hz sound wouldn't the burning program say its not a valid file???"

As I'm writing this, I'm watching and listening to Christine, Pink, and friends - on just such a VCD that I created with TMPGEnc. Although it's non-conforming, it plays perfectly on my inexpensive GE (Sampo) standalone player - but gives the "hiccups' to my more costly, "pickier" Sony ;>}

Comment

• De Joker
              • Aug 2002

The audio was done at 44 KHz, i still have to find some better quality cd-r's.

In the meantime i did 2 movies (divx) with nero using the vcd option and they seam to play good, only sometimes small blocks but no hick-ups. So maybe i should use nero instead of tmpgenc.

Robert

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Whatever floats your boat ;>}

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                  • Nov 2002

"So maybe i should use nero instead of tmpgenc."
                  If you are saying that you will use Nero to convert the avi's into mpg's, then i wouldn't recommend it, but thats from personal experience. If it works for you, then by all means use it
                  By the way, did you try different brands of media yet?

"Whatever floats your boat ;>}"
                  Damn that expression cracks me up, that really made my day (night) setarip

Comment

• De Joker
                    • Aug 2002

The reason i said i might use nero instead of tmgenc is because i did a movie (divx) with tmgenc and burned it onto a cd-r (with nero) and then i did the same movie (divx) directly with nero (using vcd) using the same brand cd-r, and the one from nero played smooth while the other one (from tmgenc) still had jitters.

I am gonna buy some other brands later on, and will post back tommorow.

Robert

Comment

• De Joker
                      • Aug 2002

Well i tried several brands cd-r's (from different manufacturers, Ritek, CMC, Prodisc) and all of them are short strategy phthacyanine with a gold color.

It turns out that i get the best result (no jitters and just 2 or 3 parts with blocks) when using cd-r's made by Taiyo Yuden, Long strategy Cyanine with a greenish color.

So the DVD player probably likes darker color discs better.

Thanks for all the tips,

Robert

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                        • Nov 2002

Glad it works for you
                        By the way, what dvd player do you have?

Comment

• De Joker
                          • Aug 2002

The DVD player i use is a norcent, but i also tried some of them on a daewoo.

Robert

Comment

Working...