Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mungigan
    • Mar 2002

Can't play SVCD, VCD.. black screen

I just bougt a Denver 141 DVD-player that supports SVCD and VCD... but when I am trying to play any of these formats it first comes a little box in the upper corner that says SVCD or VCD ( so it recognizes it). But then there is only a black screen... the CD doesnt load..

I am sure there can be several reasons for this problem but can anyone give me a hint please????
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Are you able to succesfully play the svcd's/vcd's that you burned on your PC?

If so, consider using different media (I prefer Verbatim) and burning at a lower speed.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
      • Nov 2002

Give us some information on how you made the (s)vcd's. Also, just to be sure or see if your dvd player only supports certain brands of media, check here
      Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
      http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
      http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• Mungigan
        • Mar 2002

Yes I can play them on my PC and the cd:s are Fuji and Sony.. they are burned with the speed 12x

I dont know how the SVDCs were made because I didnt do it but I have many different and none of them works in my standalone player.. only with my DVD-player in the PC

I checked the list and it says that Denver 141 should be able to play these formats

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

I'd strongly suggest that if the player is still under warranty you should attempt to return it and swap for a new one (Bring an SVCD, VCD, .MP3 audioCD with you to test the replacement unit before you leave)

Comment

• Mungigan
            • Mar 2002

I think its under warranty.. I bought it yesterday

Comment

• thePest
              • Feb 2003

It can also be because of the burn program used. Not to mention the laser may not be able to read the pits in that media. I have this problem with 1 out of my 6 standalones. Being an Apex1100 can't see a SVCD burned by Nero 5.0.0.3 but does on Nero 5.5.7.2.

So

#1 Try say VCDeasy to burn your movies out. Seems to be the best compliant burn program. That hasn't failed on any player so far.

#2 Switch to different Cdrs along with burning one to a CDrw for higher reflectivity.

#3 just noticed! Lower your burn speed down to 8x.

#4 Check with your remote on the play settings. Set it to auto {Pal & NTSC} along with most Videos are authoured for PBC {play back control} be sure to enable on each play?
              Last edited by thePest; 6 Feb 2003, 04:20 PM.
              A Pest can be anything, Water, Animal, pollution, even a plant. A junk yard dog getting into your Garbage can be a Pest!

Comment

• Mungigan
                • Mar 2002

When I burn with the speed of 4x it works fine... a little choppy but at least I have a picture

Comment

• thePest
                  • Feb 2003

a little choppy
                  Guess where I go with this one! I have 8 Cdwriters and have killed 3 so far. How many burns have you made on that writer?

I had to retire a phillips afte 300 burns, that still burns but discribes what you are seeing to a T. Replaced it and the next burner did just fine with the same file. So far the highest amount of burns was around 800. That I have gotten from a burner. The faster the burn the short the life on the burner?

My guess is a sign your motor is going
                  A Pest can be anything, Water, Animal, pollution, even a plant. A junk yard dog getting into your Garbage can be a Pest!

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"When I burn with the speed of 4x it works fine... a little choppy but at least I have a picture"

Try using a DVD/CD cleaning disk on your burner. Maxell makes one that sells for approximately $10U.S.

Comment

Working...