X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Second2None
    • Mar 2003

Blocky SVCD??

Hi there guys...

I have just finished burning my latest SVCD of the movie "First Knight" However, during playback, many of the fast moving action scenes appear quite blocky (big-ish chunky blocks in the areas of moment)

Now this is not the kind of quality I am use to from a SVCD.
    Could this have anything to do with interlacing/de-interlacing??

I use TMPGEnc to do the encoding and I normally always use "Double" in the de-interlacing filter section.

So could this be a movie that doesnt need de-interlacing?
    How does one know whether if a movie need interlace or de-interlace. As I said, I normally always use "Double" just because someone told me to.

I mite be on the wrong track completely, but I dont know what else would cause the movie playback to be blocky?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Second2None.
  • Second2None
    • Mar 2003

And something I would like to add...

If a movie is non-interlaced, would a deinterlacing filter have any affect on the final mpeg if I had deinterlance turned on anyway??

Thanks,
    Second2None.

Comment

• HaroldW
      • Nov 2002

VCD format is non-interlaced, SVCD format supposed to be interlaced. That being said I doubt the blockiness is associated with deinterlacing the video. Fast-action blockiness is "normal" in video areas that are not allowed enough video bitrate. You may see it in some of your previous SVCDs if you look more closely at fast-action scenes.

You may, or may not be able to provide enough video bitrate and still remain within SVCD specification. I have some captures that I have gone as high as 4500kbps (way outside the SVCD specs) and fast-action blockiness remains.

Smoothing filters "may" help some, but you loose apparent resolution. The best way to "add" video bitrate is to use a rate control mode of 2-pass VBR and make the maximum approx 2520kbps (to stay within SVCD spec) and the minimum of about 300-500kbps. Like I said previously, this may not get rid of all of it. Also, if you are already useing a CBR of 2520kbps you will not see any difference.

Comment

Working...