Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baronbri
    • Jan 2002

VCD Playing Problems

I have a VCD (that has been made with CDR) that will play on 2 computers at work but not at home.
    At work it will run on an NT machine with Windows Media Player 6.4 by selecting a .dat file. It also runs perfectly with Xing and Roxio VCD Players.
    At home it will not run on a Windows 98se machine with Media Player 7.0 or the same Xing and Roxio Player. I get invalid file type or cannot read file. With Xing it goes into a 'loop' until eventually crashing when disk is ejected.
    It will run on a Windows 98se laptop at work through Media Player 7.0.
    Am I lacking some codecs somewhere - I have tried it in both my CD rom and CD rewriter.
    Its very frustrating. Any help appreciated.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Have you, since having your home machine reject the file, again successfully played it on your work systems?

2) Have you, since having your home machine reject the file, successfully played any OTHER VCDs (or other video formats) on your home system, from your CD-ROM, CD burner, or hard drive - using Win Media Player v.7.0?

Comment

• baronbri
      • Jan 2002

Hi Setarip
      1) Yes I have no problems playing the same VCD at work.
      2) No I cannot play any VCD's at home with media Player - but I can play Divx Movies at home through Media Player and all other avi's and mpegs.

I have noticed that I cannot copy any files off the VCD to my hard disk. Plus since I tried this both CD Drives have started playing up with all CD's. They continually flash - then you get a black screen with a small window saying the cd may be dirty Retry Abort Cancel?
      I have never had this trouble before. I have just read about SCSI1hlp.vxd on VCDhelp.com (which was down yesterday) so I will check if that is present.
      Thanks for your reply

Comment

• Thrawn
        • Jan 2002

lol, is your CD clean? Do you see any fingerprints on it? U should try to clean it! (happens sometimes with CDs, cant read them when not clean)

U said u wanted to watch VCD (like DVD) with normal MediaPlayers. Never tried that at all, although i heard it should work, but why not try play them with a DVD software?
        The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• baronbri
          • Jan 2002

Gripped! Sorted!
          My SCSI1hlp.vxd had been renamed .old by some software - posibly WinonCD 3.8 which is now removed. Once corrected I can now play my VCD on anything. I always thought this virtual device driver was defunct - not so.
          Many thanks for help - I will be back again no doubt!

Comment

• Thrawn
            • Jan 2002

i just cant help but calling WinOnCD i a sh... program *g*

it has installed a virtual drive when i installed it, and its that shit *g*

nero rules!
            The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

Working...