X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItalianStallion
    • Jan 2002

apect ratio ok on PC, bad on TV

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this, so any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to make a VCD using SmartRipper 2.41, DVD2AVI 1.85, and TMPGEnc 2.50. The resulting MPG from TMPGEnc has the correct aspect ratio when I play the MPG on my PC, but when I burn the MPG into a VCD using Nero or AdaptecEasyCD and play it back on my Apex DVD player, the aspect ratio is all messed up and the picture is distorted! The image looks like it is vertically stretched. With the TMPGEnc 2.50, I used the Wizard and selected the NTSC for VCD, and set the source aspect ratio to 16x9.

The next step I tried was to change the Video Arrange Method from the defaulted "full screen" to either "full screen (keep aspect ratio)" or "full screen (keep aspect ratio2)". This gives me the correct aspect ratio on my Apex DVD player, but now the aspect ratio is distorted on the PC.

How would I go about getting this to work on both? I've tried changing the display settings on the DVD player with no effect on the picture. Would the image be distorted then if I tried to play it on a Widescreen TV instead of a 4:3?

Please help!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The image looks like it is vertically stretched"

When you created the original file, did you choose to crop off the top and bottom black "bars" of a widescreen formatted DVD? If so, this would be the cause of your problem.

If you playback such a file with Win Media Player (if I remember correctly), it "adds" the necessary bars to present the image in the originally indicated dimensions.

Comment

• ItalianStallion
      • Jan 2002

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I don't even know at which point I would be able to choose to crop off the top and bottom black bars.

In the playback on the standalone DVD player, the width looks fine, and I do see the black bars on the top and bottom, but the black bars are "thinner" than they should be, resulting in the stretched image.

Thanks again for your response--I hope you can help me solve this!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"The resulting MPG from TMPGEnc has the correct aspect ratio when I play the MPG on my PC, but when I burn the MPG into a VCD using Nero or AdaptecEasyCD..."

When you're using TMPGEnc, I hope you're configuring it for "MPEG1-VideoCD" and NOT simply "MPEG1".

Comment

Working...