Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ziiggee
    • Jan 2002

vcd vs. svcd

Another dumb question......what is the difference in svcd and vcd?
    I see programs that will create in either format. how do I know which format is right for me?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

VCD uses MPEG1 compression, while SVCD uses MPEG2 compression (better compression, higher resolution).

Comment

• EvoSx
      • Feb 2002

Personally I feel that if you're not going to use the vcd or svcd on a stand alone player, then converting to the format is pretty useless. Never can you fit an entire movie on one cd.

No, I prefer div-x. Great quality, and you can fit it on one single cd.

But if you are going to play on stand alone, and it supports svcd, then go with svcd.

/evo
      I'll never have to buy another beer coaster for the rest of my life!

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
        • Nov 2001

To check which format isright for you take a read of the info at www.vcdhelp.com. It explains things really well and should answer most questions you have about VCD/SVCD

Cheers

Comment

• Simon T
          • Nov 2001

I don't know. I tried them both for the same movie and when you play it, you don't so so much difference.
          And I have a big tv, so I can see the quality quite good.
          If you play your movies on a normal tv, you can't see the difference between VCD and SVCD.

Okay, the bitrate is bigger with SVCD. That implies better quality. This quality goes to the resolution.
          The biggest problem of the bigger bitrate is simple: you need more cd's.
          SVCD's in standard are VARIOUS bitrate, so it's more complicated when you wish to put a big movie on 2 cd's. Maybe your file will be to big and then you must put it on 3 cd's.

Also: it's not because your player can read VCD's your friend can read them. Most of the DVD players can read VCD's, but not all can read the SVCD's.

The choice up to you!!
          Still standing... ...also after the forumcrash )

Comment

Working...