Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IztokT
    • Nov 2001

Playing VCD on PC

I'm think about future when I will have standalone DVD player, that is why I think of making VCD instead of DivX CDs. But how to play VCD on a computer? Is there any software?

Iztok
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

There's no need for any special software for playing VCDs (NOT SVCDs) on your PC.

Start the Windows Media Player. Then, from within Explorer, open the VCD's "MPEGAV" folder. Simply "drag and drop" the "AVSEQ01.DAT" file onto the Windows Media Player and it will automatically begin to play.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• EvoSx
      • Feb 2002

Well if you're going to buy a DVD in the future, you might want to consider one that will play SVCD.

The MPEG-2 (SVCD) format has better compression with higher resolution making the quality better than with MPEG-1 (VCD)

If you would want to view the SVCD movies on your computer, than you could use PowerDVD. But the movies would only play if you've burned them on a CD.

/Evo
      I'll never have to buy another beer coaster for the rest of my life!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

This is the one thing that's really bugging me. My PC is incapable of playing certain VCDs. As Setarip pointed out (and as I have been doing so since long ago), I keep double-clicking on the .dat files in the MPEGAV folder, and WMP (both 6.4 & 7) refuse to play it, giving various reasons, from unable to find filter combination, incorrect function & need to restart to complete a downloaded component (which I don't recall ever doing). Manually copying the file to my HD or opening the file (on CD) using Virtualdub always end up in failure. However, the discs play without a glitch in my VCD (Not DVD) player.

How can this be? Is there a VCD player out there that can tackle VCDs better than WMP? Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Here's more info from the back of the box:

VCD
          Dolby Digital (Marketing Gimmicks, I suppose)
          MPEG-2
          Color (Of course)
          NTSC/PAL (Can't really find out until I can see the framerate)

Bought the set in Singapore. Any clues now?

Comment

• abdul
            • Jan 2002

I might be completely off here but isn't MPEG-2 Svcd ?

Maybe this has something to do with it.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

I might be completely off here but isn't MPEG-2 Svcd ?
              Maybe, but the same VCD player can't play the SVCDs I created myself (Or maybe I just screwed up somewhere).
              Is there a specific SVCD player I could use? I heard that WMP can't play SVCDs.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

WinDVD...

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Thanks. Will try that later.

By the way, can PowerDVD do likewise? That's what I've got installed for now anyway.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

It works!!!

Now. Any idea how I can copy the .dat file into my HD? I can't extract them, even if the file is around 400MB or 750MB+ (Some cryptic and strange compression technology, huh?)

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Any idea how I can copy the .dat file into my HD? I can't extract them"

You're kidding around, aren't you?

Simply open two windows in Explorer - one for your hard drive and the other for your CD/DVD player. "Drag and drop" the "AVSEQ01.dat" (or similar) file onto your hard drive...

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Kidding I'm not.

Everytime I try to copy the file into my HD, I keep getting this error: "Cannot Open [Filename] : The Paramater is Incorrect"

Other VCDs (The ones that play without a problem with WMP) do not give me this problem though.

Comment

• synchron
                          • Nov 2001

I once had a problem similar to yours in which I would burn a VCD and then try to play the .DAT file in WMP or PowerDVD. I kept getting errors and nothing would play it. Trying to copy the dat to the hard drive via explorer also caused errors. I was able to get the Dat onto the harddrive via a program called Isobuster which you can get at

Recover data quickly! Recover data from CD, DVD, BD, HDD, Flash drive, USB stick, media card, SD and SSD with IsoBuster - The award winning, highly specialized and easy to use Memory card, CD, DVD, Hard Disk, SD, Compact CF, MMC, card data recovery software. IsoBuster supports all optical disc formats, Hard Drives, Memory cards, Flash disk formats and all common file-systems: NTFS, UDF, FAT etc.!

When I reformatted my 15GB drive and installed clean copies of both Win98 and XPPro, both OS's could now read these VCD's fine and I can play them in all players.

Synchron.

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

Thanks. Will try that later.

By the way, I still have this problem after quite a number of reinstallations of Win98SE and Win2K and lately, WinXP. Probably it's a setting somewhere...

Comment

Working...