X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maitmk
    • Dec 2001

how to achieve BEST possible quality ?

hi

can anyone recommend me how to get the best possible videoquality when encoding video with divx codec ??

so far, i know that higher resolution video has better quality and higher bitrate (900 and more) also offers better quality but not enough. Here comes another question - what is the highest reasonable bitrate for a divx movie ? If it is too high, computer will have trouble playing it ... ?

I've heard of the quality-based mode in divx4, but how large would be a 1 hour video file encoded with it ?

OR should i consider some other codec or format (mpeg ? ) ?

I have my own recording of a live concert, recorded with a digital camcorder, which i want to encode at the best possible quality at reasonable file size ( 1 hour= 1 cd )

i tried DivX ver 3 and ver 4.11 (2 pass also) but i still can see the small squares in the video sometimes. Would it help to increase the bitrate over 1000kbit ? Or are there any other tricks which help to get the picture clearer and crisper ?
    Last edited by maitmk; 14 Dec 2001, 07:06 AM.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Hi

For the best possibe quality u should probably take a look at nandub, however a 900kbs is rather low in my opinion u generally have to stay above 0.2 bits per pixel to get near dvd quality.

Don't use 'divx4 quality based encodeing' for movies file size prediction is completly impossible.

Anyway for a really nice and easy to use encoding tool go for The Gordian Knot, it will let u do either 2-pass with divx4.11 in virtualdub or sbc with divx3.11 in nandub.

The guide for gknot can be found at

Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

Hi there. I have broken the world record on compressing a video (4 mins ) to 12-15MB. I shall tell u what I did to achieve good quality results on my website when I am finished.

Right, make sure that your original source is good. Use TMPGNEC to convert to MPEG2 with CQ 100 and bitrate 9000 and high quality. When eventually (after 3-4 times of re-encodng) the quality should be good. Open VIDOMI (or another encoder not virtual dub cause it doesn't opne MPEG2 file)

use DIVX 3.11alpha fast

6000 b/r 75 crisp 10/15 keyframe

start encoding

result should be good in the end.

Thanks

Techno

Comment

Working...