Subtitles Vobsub - a little help please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • james222
    • Jul 2002

Subtitles Vobsub - a little help please!

Just a few simple questions regarding the Vobsub procedures.

'After indexing you'll see the the following screen. Select the right subtitle track in the marked dropdown list. You can also define the colors for your subtitles and the transparency and move the subs if you don't like them at their current place

- ok,l but what is their 'current place' . how can i check this, without having to play the DVD with the correct subtitles? The red square in the centre of the larger sqaure is indicating what? the default position of the subtitles? .i.e. default position is always bottom centre - so if i move the red sqaure down, am i moving the subtitles even further down?

Then press OK. After a while when it's done indexing press OK to get back to the filter selection. VobSub will have created 3 new files in the directory you indicated before (to save the index file). These files are named like your ifo file, for instance in our case vts_01_0.ifo, vts_01_0.idx and vts_01_0.sub. Keep these files for the moment. These files can be used in DirectVobSub for later playback in Windows Media Player. If you want these kind of subs (you can turn them on and off in WMP) then you can remove the VobSub filter from the filter list now. Otherwise leave the filter there and you have the subtitles directly in the video. Leave VirtualDub/Nandub open.

what does it mean , 'keep these files for the moment' - what happens to these files after 'that moment'. do i not need them later?

do i not need these these files when actually burnign the cd?

basically i want the option of turnign the subtitles on or off, dependent on which soundtrack I am playing - does this mean i must go thru another operation with DirectVobsub? (is direct Vobsub part of Vobsub - ie I shoudl already have this application as part of the GordianKnot/Divx5 package? )

Where can I find a guide for DirectVobsub?

Thanks in advance
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: Subtitles Vobsub - a little help please!

Originally posted by james222

am i moving the subtitles even further down?
    Yes, I think so, but I must admit I'am no expert on subtitles placement in vobsub config. Anyway, if you don't want to use 'burned' subs, you will be able to move them durring playback, so just leave them in the default position for now.

what does it mean , 'keep these files for the moment' - what happens to these files after 'that moment'. do i not need them later?
    If you want to use DirectVobsub, all you need to do is rename the subtitle files to match the movie name. So if you avi file is called movie.avi, the subtitle files must be named movie.sub, movie.idx and movie.ifo (the latest version of vobsub doesn't create a ifo file this is ok)

do i not need these these files when actually burnign the cd?
    Yes the file has to be present in the same folder as the avi file for the subs to work.

basically i want the option of turnign the subtitles on or off, dependent on which soundtrack I am playing - does this mean i must go thru another operation with DirectVobsub?
    Other than renaming the subtitles files, no.

(is direct Vobsub part of Vobsub - ie I shoudl already have this application as part of the GordianKnot/Divx5 package? )
    I don't recall if Direct vobsub is installed with GKnot, you can get it from http://vobsub.edensrising.com/

Where can I find a guide for DirectVobsub?
    I think there was a guide at www.doom9.net once, but it doesn't really say anything that I have not said in this post.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...