Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glanz
    • Aug 2002

ntsc or pal

i am pretty new to this subject and i was wondering what is the difference between ntsc and pal does it matter what u select in gknot i ripped a movie last night and it came out where u could see blocks.

how do i know what material is ntsc and what is pal
  • Fluffy
    • Nov 2001

NTSC is the standard for the United states and japan, and a few other countries (i dont know what ones) Anyways, on the DVD it will state if the material is PAL or NTSC. it will also tell you what format the material is in DVD2AVI. You need to give a better discription of these "blocks" you speak of for us to be able to tell you what they are. it could be macroblocking from using too low a bitrate, it could be be CSS encryption. and a number of other things.
    Helicopters do not fly. They beat the sky into submission.
    -Aaden Satpulov

Comment

• Glanz
      • Aug 2002

ok well it is as if the resolution is screwed up or something like when i have the picture small it looks fine but when i maximise it to full screen it is not as sharp at all the picture has tons of little blocks like a bad resolution i think.

how do u change the bitrate in gknot how doi know what is the right one to use

can ntsc material be used in gknot will it look bad?

the movie im ripping (platoon) says ntsc in dvd2avi so it must be that i guess

thanks for any sugguestions

Comment

• Glanz
        • Aug 2002

it says my average bitrate is 1620 dont know if that helps

Comment

• Glanz
          • Aug 2002

i also was messing around with a bitrate calculator do u use these?

it said 813 is what is should be does this sound right the movie is 1hour and 59 minuites long, i said it should be 695 mb, one language, and 96 kb for the sound

Comment

• Fluffy
            • Nov 2001

That sounds like Macroblocking to me, one of the things that happens when you encode divx. its just the way the codec compresses data. you can try fooling around with the post processing settings. ive found that Divx5's "film filter" does a good job at reducing macroblocking by introducing some noise into the picture. Remember, your rips will NEVER look as good as the original. thats not what divx was made for. when you set a video to play fullscreen it has to enlarge the image. because there is only so much image data, the picture quality goes down the larger you make it (this is true of enlarging any visual things video, photos etc) if you want to watch movies full screen you can turn your monitor resolution down. (when im watching things full screen i usualy lower it to 640x480) and if this stil doesnt help you will need to encode your movie as a 2 CD rip.
            -Aaden Satpulov

Comment

• Glanz
              • Aug 2002

ok thanks do u ever watch movies on a tv from ur computer via a tv out on ur video card or somehtingthat is what i want to do would it look the same dou think and my sound on my movie is a litttle off have this ever happened to u where the picture is a little ahead of the audio but thanks for the help fluffy

Comment

• Fluffy
                • Nov 2001

I rarely use my TV out as my computer is in my room and my TV is smaller then my monitor. the only exeption to this is when my girlfriend is over and the monitor hurts her eyes. ive used S-video from a laptop and into a bigscreen TV before and it works just fine, though you will lose quality. Audio sync can be adjusted in Gknots settings
                -Aaden Satpulov

Comment

• Glanz
                  • Aug 2002

ok thanks

Comment

Working...