Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smelsch
    • May 2002

cropped capture

I know the answer to this is probably obvious, and I've probably transgressed some sort of rule when capturing but...

I have a cheap TV tuner card.

I captured a TV show at 320x240 off TV using video composite (rather than the tuner as it can't capture stereo audio) as my capture source. The video & audio feed came directly from my satellite TV decoder.

For some reason, probably the cheap card, I often get a 10 pixel bar down the right hand side of the image. I decided to get rid of this by using the capture crop feature on Virtualdub, so the cropped image was now 310x240. I used DivX 3.11 low motion and compressed at 1200 kbps as I captured.

Everything seemed Ok as the finished 310x240 capture plays back just fine on Windows Media Player, but when I try to edit out the ads on vitrualdub, it either crashes or gives me an image that is split down the middle with the left half on the right side & vice versa (the colour is also blue on 1 side & green on the other). The same thing happened when I tried editing with Premiere.

I rederived the keyframe flags & also tried rebuilding the keyframe index with divfix all to no avail. The output of my edit is still split, yet the file plays fine in Windows Media Player.

Any explanations or suggestions? I thought that perhaps the cropped capture may have been incompatible with DivX 3.11, but then I also thought that divx 3 has no real sizing limitations.

Thanks if you can help

S
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

use these settings:

320*240/352*288

30fps

CD QUALITY uncompressed PCM audio

NO RECOMPRESSION

YUY2 or YV12 format

capture!!!

make sure u have alot of HDD space, use AVI_IO or make sure u have a NTFS partition as this takes up ALOT of space.

but quality is VERY HIGH in the end (with my card anyway, and it was cheap too!)

then u can encode to MPEG2 > DIVX or straight to DIVX

Simple

or u can do a 2pass in nandub from this file and crop it is u want etc..

Techno

Comment

Working...