Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • le_chevallier
    • Aug 2002

Can't change position in Divx recording

Sometimes when I encode a movie in Divx 5, I can't change the position (fast forward) the movie when I try to view it in the player. The movie looks fine and plays fine straight through; but if I try to change the position on the slider at the bottom, the player crashes. I tried rekeying the original movie before encoding, changed the number of key frames, etc., but that does not help. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • hacker_on_fire
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2002

what player do u use and what spec machine do u have. Also what is the audio format used?
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
    Look here before posting questions

Comment

• le_chevallier
      • Aug 2002

I use:

-- DivX Player 2.0 Alpha.exe
      -- I have tried to encode it in DixX 5.0.2, and when that did not work, DivX 3 and 4. I used the DivX audio codec.
      -- I have a IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium 700 processor, 198 MEG RAM, 8 MEG video memory, SiliconMotion Lynx display adapter, running WinXP.

The original file which ran fine was 640X480, DivX 5.02, 25 FPS, key frames every 10 sec., Frauhaufer IIS Mpeg layer 3 audio at 48 khz.

I am trying to edit and save it as as 320 x 240, DivX 5.02, 25 FPS, key frames every 10 sec., Frauhaufer IIS Mpeg layer 3 audio at 24 khz. Like I said, it ran fine, I just could not adjust the position.

Thanks much.

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Mar 2002

try windows media player 6.4 and/or bsplayer as they are both good. The DivX Player is not very effiecient when it coems to playing video files.
        MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
        Look here before posting questions

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Try loading the avi file into virtualdub, select file information, and post the number of key frames.
          Last edited by khp; 26 Aug 2002, 10:02 AM.
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• le_chevallier
            • Aug 2002

Hey, thanks for the help so far. I have been away. Anyway...

I have converted an mpg to divx. I am posting the file information as a jpeg. The divx avi runs fine from start to finish but I cannot change the position in MediaPlayer, the Divx Playa or bsplayer (all latest releases). It has 39 key frames. FOr the life of me I cannot figure out what's wrong. I can change position on files I download, but not one I author.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
            Attached Files

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

OK that is kinda strange.

I wonder if the problem could be audio related.
              Try removing the audio by selecting audio->'no audio' and video->'direct stream copy'. Save it as a new file and play that.

Comment

• le_chevallier
                • Aug 2002

KHP, you're the man.

I tried the file without audio and I could jump around. I then tried compressing the audio with MPEG Layer 3 audio and it works. Has anyone else had trouble, or had success with the DivX audio codec?

I have not seen much advice on selection of audio codecs and compression. Do you have a general suggestion for MPEG Layer 3 audio compression settings, or will the right setting vary by movie, video compression codec (and settings), etc?

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

For AC3 to MP3 conversion, I usually use Besweet. Typically using a command like this:

Code:
                  D:\besweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input "D:\DONT_SAY_A_WORD\DONT_SAY_A_WORD AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY -95ms.ac3" -output "D:\DONT_SAY_A_WORD\DONT_SAY_A_WORD AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY -95ms.mp3" ) -azid(-c normal) -ota( -g max) -lame( --alt-preset 128)

This created a vbr mp3 file that, then has to be muxed into the avi file using nandub.

Comment

• mardigras
                    • Sep 2002

I'm using the 2.0 player and I can't fast forward *any* file. If I try to move the slider, it bounces back to the beginning of the video. If I push the forward button on the right of the player it does nothing.

Comment

• mardigras
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by hacker_on_fire
                      try windows media player 6.4 and/or bsplayer as they are both good. The DivX Player is not very effiecient when it coems to playing video files.
                      I get an error message everytime I try to play a divx file with WMP 6.4 and when I click the button that is supposed to take me to their page to download any components I need it tells me I'm probably trying to play an invalid file type and offers no downloads. I can play the same clips in the divx 2.0 player OK, but just can't forward using it. It would be nice to be able to check the end of a file to make sure it's complete before I sit down to watch it or go on to DL something else

Comment

Working...