Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MochaJava
    • Aug 2002

Need help with extracting audio stream

I want to extract the audio from a DivX movie so I can re-encode it with TMPEG. (The audio in the AVI file is unsupported by TMPEG.)

When VirtualDub was unable to save the audio stream as a WAV file, I turned to online guides, and then to forums. The answer, it seems, was to use either Nandub and AVI2WAV.

Using both, I was able to extract a WAV file, but it sounds quite choppy, as if it was underwater. I tried using BeSplit to remove the WAV headers, but it doesn't help. In fact, I think it sounded worse.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Let me know if you need further information.

Thanks!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Assuming you have got a VBR (Variable Bitrate) MP3, you can do the following to convert the audio into a CBR (Constant Bitrate) audio stream, which TMPGEnc accepts:
    1. Open video in Virtual/nandub
    2. Select Full Processing Mode under Audio tab
    3. Under Audio tab, go to Compression and select No Compression (PCM)
    4. Back to the main interface, go to File -> Save WAV... and give a name to the .wav file

If your audio stream is in AC3 format, I believe you can use Besweet (or the older AC32WAV) to convert the AC3 into WAV. I may be wrong in this since I'm not familiar with this one process.

If you're not sure what sort of audio format you have in the video, open the file in Virtualdub and go to File -> File Information. Detailed information on the video, including the audio stream, can be obtained this way.

Comment

• MochaJava
      • Aug 2002

Both VDub and Nandub say it's 48000Hz 5-channel stereo with Unknown compression (tag 2000).

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

OK, is the original audio 48000Hz?

If so, can u try and downsample that using wavelab or something similar?

There should be more audio extraction tools out there in order to extract the audio from the avi.

u tried the obvious site?

Digital Digest DivX Xvid Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, Xvid and AVI articles, guides and software, latest news and updates

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by MochaJava
          Both VDub and Nandub say it's 48000Hz 5-channel stereo with Unknown compression (tag 2000).
          Alright. It's an AC3 sound stream you have there. You will need to extract the sound into a .wav file. Try my suggestion and tell me whether it works or not.

Another thing you need to do (assuming you are creating a VCD) is downsample the sampling rate of the audio from 48kHz to 44.1kHz. You can do this using any sound editor, such as Cooledit.

TMPGEnc should now be able to process the audio without a glitch.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

and now ur saying I suck?

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

To techno

Nope. Rest assured. I'm not going to say anything bad about you as long as you don't do the same to me.

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

of course I won't enchanter, I am ur friend

Comment

• MochaJava
                  • Aug 2002

Thanks for the quick responses!

Had been able to extract the audio stream using both Nandub and AVI2WAV, but like i mentioned, the audio from resulting WAV file is choppy...

Using BeSplit to remove the WAV headers did not work either.

In fact, I've tried just about everything suggested in the guides at DivX-Digest, Doom9 and Nicky Page's Guides, and combed a few forums for answers, before posting this...

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Have you tried Besweet yet?

Comment

• MochaJava
                      • Aug 2002

Yes - doesn't work.
                      I believe the problem lies with the extraction of the WAV or AC3 audio stream, because the extracted WAV file is choppy. Did I do something wrong during extraction?
                      I used Nandub, direct stream copy for audio, save as wav... Same result when I used AVI2WAV...

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

I used Nandub, direct stream copy for audio, save as wav...
                        Using this method, you will get an .AC3 sound file, not a .WAV. Hence, you will still need to convert it into a .WAV file and later, downsample it to 44.1kHz. For downsampling, I suggest you use a sound editor to get the job done. TMPGEnc does not seem able to properly downsample audio streams.

Comment

Working...