X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glanz
    • Aug 2002

resolution whats best

what is the deal with resolution

which is best i know its a dumb question but what is a good value to stick with im sure a really low number will look crappy but what is a good resolution. does it just depend on the movie im ripping? i was just wondering this, ive tried many different ones and havent noticed a huge difference yet.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

IMO, 640x() is the highest you should go for. The opposite is true for 320x(). Also, what resolution you should use depends on how much bitrate you are assigning for the video. 1000-1300 kbps is suitable for 640x() and the required bitrate goes down proportionally with decreasing resolution.

ive tried many different ones and havent noticed a huge difference yet.
    And what are those values? I'm sure you will notice a striking difference between 640x() and 320x(). Even resolutions of 512x() and 640x() are markedly and visibly different (to my eyes).

Comment

• Glanz
      • Aug 2002

what is wrong with using 720 or up that high is it just wasted space your taking up or what

Comment

• ponyboy
        • Aug 2002

If you're using gordian knot - perform a compressiability test before doing the encode .. according to the guides and from experience it produces great results - I aim to get the figure it gives back just over 60% for whichever resolution I'm using

If you're getting a crazy high percentage say much over 68% you'll be able to increase the resolution without introducing noticiable compression artifacts ..

If your a good way under the 60% your probably better off reducing the resolution in favour of getting a cleaner encode.

If your not using gk i'd highly recommend it at least for your video stream .. still working out the best way to handle the audio stream.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Glanz
          what is wrong with using 720 or up that high is it just wasted space your taking up or what
          Personally, I don't see much benefit in using such high resolutions. Firstly, it requires more bitrate to achieve the same quality as a 640x() video. Secondly, it requires much more CPU power to decode in playback. I'll reserve the other point to myself as it is still very debatable.

Comment

• ponyboy
            • Aug 2002

If you are going for a fixed quality you may want to find a resolution you're happy with that isn't overly large and stick with it. But if you're encoding to a fixed size, say to fit on one cd - and a compressiablity test shows that you are gaining very little in quality by keeping a low resolution over a higher resolution - then why not increase the resolution to get better full screen play back results.

The resolution which produces a 60% compressiablity percentage for a 700mb encode most often is 608x256 .. sometimes a little less, almost never any larger.

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

EVERY movie is different, Some res's are better than others.

when I do capturing and stuff, I ALWAYS make the final vid 352*288/320*240 why:

1) low file size
              2) I can shut many people up because the way I do things, it makes it NEAR DVD quality or sometimes, DVD quality for that res
              3) I just enjoy it

Some res's work better than others.

Like for example, my first DVD rip, east is east, when I did a 2 pass encoding in nandub, the res was 4xx*xxx and that was not bad, except a few artifacts (for a 1 CD RIP)

Then I changed it to 512*xxx and that was near perfect.

Then I increased it a higher res and it was perfect. no loss of quality and all on 1 CD

I then tested the ripping and encoding using DVDx (www.technosoft2000.co.uk/divx) and I chose, delebritly, fast motion codec with 6000 bitrate and a res of 4xx*xxx and it was NEAR DVD. no blocks, no artifacts, maybe the odd block in dark scenes, but other wise, perfect and only for 434MB!!!!!

I then decreased it a res, and well, it was PERFECT! NO ARTIFACTS, NO BLOCKS, nothing. just perfect! and also, the file size was lower!

wierd, I know but I am just tellin u my experiences and that any program u use and any res u use is always different.

Ideal res, 512*xxx (my opinion)

Techno

Comment

Working...