Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anubis
    • Dec 2001

Survey

I wanted to do a study on how many of us what type of systems.

Reason-

I'd like to set-up a database for most used components and configurations for successful DivX encoding. Of course more surveys will have to follow.

Anubis.
    Namebrand (Dell,HP etc.).
    0%
    Homemade with bargin bin parts.
    0%
    Older Namebrand systems with upgraded parts.
    0%
    Homemade system with top-of the line name brand parts.
    0%
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What exactly do you mean by top-of-the-line brand parts? VGA cards, soundcards and such? As far as I know, video encoding speed is strongly dependent on CPU speed and memory bandwith only. The other components hardly play a role in the task.

Perhaps you should have put Homemade system with either AMD or Intel chips (latest revision, a few steps behind the latest, or older) as the options. I'm sure many fans of either side will respond quickly.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 28 Aug 2002, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Anubis
      • Dec 2001

Yes! Yes!!
      Good point.

I agree, encoding is about the amount (and kind) of ram and the processor(s). But all of the additional parts play in the performance of an encoding session as well as the playback.

Even if it's as small as taking 2 or 3 cycles per sec. it still impacts the encoding process.

But there are other statistics/demographics that I want to get as well for more cross referencing. I just wanted to start small and build with more specific questions. But even tho I'd like to be as
      accurate as possible it's going to be difficult without control groups and a specific user base for each poll.

Any volunteers would be most appreciated!!!

Look for new and improved polls soon!!

Thanks

Anubis

Comment

• Bchball
        • Aug 2002

my old system AMD T-Bird 900@1000mhz 256meg sdram encoded Divx at 6-7 fps.

my new system AMD XP 2000+ 256meg ddrram encodes Divx at 14-15 fps.

I guess this performance increase would be expected.

Comment

• Anubis
          • Dec 2001

WOW!

The best I've been able to do is @ 9-12 fps.

Before that, 5 fps if I was lucky..

Anubis

P.S.

Thank those of you that have taken the time to answer the poll.

New question will follow Friday.

Comment

• Erci
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Nov 2001

I often up in 25 when I do a regular pal movie that need no deinterlacing. When I have done pal that needs deinterlacing I have been down in about 16 fps.
            I have a AMD 1800+ with 256 mb ddram on a via kt333 motherboard.

//Erci
            DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

my new system AMD XP 2000+ 256meg ddrram encodes Divx at 14-15 fps.
              My Willamette P4 1.8GHz can do 12-17fps for NTSC encoding (4:3 AR), and 25-30fps for PAL encoding (16:9 AR). Bchball, I'm sure your system is capable of more than what you have posted. Check its configuration and see whether something is holding it back.

Comment

• Bchball
                • Aug 2002

I'm sure that's my limit!

I usually encode whilst the internet is on, so I have firewall and antivirus running. After disabling these there wasn't a difference.
                However there was a slight 1 fps difference when I disabled the 'view output' tick box in Flask. Overall, I am happy because I can get a 90min PAL movie encoded in just over 2 1/2 hours at 640x272 resolution. Not that it matters that much because I am usually in bed or at work while it's encoding.
                Enchanter, that's radical stuff, that you can encode a movie faster than it would normally take to view it. The Williamette must be a great processor. BTW the amd xp2000+ only runs at 1.66ghz.

Comment

• Erci
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Nov 2001

I also seem to encode faster then you and I have a 1800+.

//Erci
                  DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Re: I'm sure that's my limit!

Enchanter, that's radical stuff, that you can encode a movie faster than it would normally take to view it.
                    Not at all. There is more to preparing a DVD-2-DivX conversion than fps. There is the cropping and resizing that needs to be done, audio file that needs to be prepared in MP3 format, etc. Let's not mention the time spent trying to correct an off-synch movie. *Shivers*

I usually encode whilst the internet is on, so I have firewall and antivirus running. After disabling these there wasn't a difference.
                    I have found no difference either. The speed I mentioned is the one I normally get with these background programs running.

The Williamette must be a great processor. BTW the amd xp2000+ only runs at 1.66ghz. [/B]
                    The Willamette has been superseded by the newer Northwood core, which overclock better and has double the amount of L2 cache (512K), translating to even better performance. When I said Willamette, I was actually saying that a Northwood 1.8GHz P4 would perform even faster than mine.

I'm 100% positive that your Athlon is capable of more than that. Even Erci's slower Athlon outperforms yours.

Comment

Working...