Can subtitles be merged with divx movies?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferdinand
    • Sep 2002

Can subtitles be merged with divx movies?

Is it possible to make the sub file (srt,sub) a part of the movie file? Can it be saved inside the movie? Or is there no other way then to load subs as separate files? Thanks for your help if any
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Vobsub should be able to do the job for you.

In the case of you making your own subtitle script from Sub-station Alpha, you can use the appropriate subtitler filter from here.

Comment

• Rooster6975
      Smart Chicken
      • Mar 2002

Try using MicroDVD

I know you specifically requested to have merged subtitles, but the difficulty is that once they are merged, there is no going back. You can't turn them off, nor alter them in any way, because they become part of the image.

What I suggest is you use MicroDVD. It supports SRT format, but even better is it supports it's own format. There is a program on this site called SubConvert. It takes a fraction of a second to convert SRT files into MicroDVD subtitle files. You can then include them in the .MVD file for your film. If you burn the subtitle file onto the same CD as the AVI, you can then manipulate the subtitles any way you like while playing the movie back. For instance, you can change the font (bigger, smaller, colour, font face, etc....) so that you don't have the white on white subtitle problem, you can change their location (for instance, if your DivX is 16/9 you can select to have them appear in the black band underneath), and you can turn them on or off.

You simply end up with much more configurability if you keep them as a seperate file rather than burning them into your image.

Cheers,
      Rooster.

Comment

• Ferdinand
        • Sep 2002

Thank you for your suggestions guys.
        I tried VobSub but I didnt understand how to work it in VirtualDub. Can someone explain it to me please? I'm not making my own subtitle script from Sub-station Alpha so that one won't work for me unless there is a way to converte sub or srt into the format used by Sub-station Alpha? I wanna put .srt or .sub scripts into my movies. It doesent matter if it's stuck there forever without the option to change it. How do I do it?

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

There is a vobsub guide here

Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Ferdinand
            • Sep 2002

Well, I followed the guid at Doom9.net but I didnt get far. It's something wrong either with VobSub or VirtualDub. I have the latest version of both. The VobSub filter shows in the Add Filter screen but when I doubleklick on it a new window pops up where it says: 320x240 320x240 VobSub 2.18 ((Not detected))

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Working...