Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freeflyfreak
    • Oct 2002

Help a newbie out. DV to DivX

Seems like most of the advice I can find is for ripping DVDs and converting them to divX, but that is not what I need to do.

I have a Sony Digital video camera and would like to take some raw video from the camera, edit it and then save it as DivX.

I have a firewire card and have been doing some editing with Windows movie maker it is easy to use and I dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out, but the output quality leaves a lot to be desired.
    I have downloaded the free DivX codec and have tried some of the programs suggested here but cant get anything to work.

What exactly do I need to be able to do this?
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

ok, follow this and u will be a ok:

capture using these settings:

NO RECOMPRESSION
    CD QUALITY UNCOMPRESSED audio

320*240/352*288
    YU12/YUY2
    30fps

capture! now, make sure u have a BIG HDD as this will take up alot of HDD space (4 mins = about 650MB) also, make sure u have an NTFS partition or avi_IO to split the files over a few files while recording to avoid the FAT32 4GB file size limit

then, convert the captured video to MPEG2, 224VBV buffer, high quality, brighten up the vid, and res of 352*288 and AUTO_CQ in TMPGENC

then use something like vidomi to convert this MPEG2 file to DIVX fast motion (assuming u have the best codec installed, DIVX v3.11alpha) with 75 crisp and 6000 bitrate.

This will give u NEAR DVD quality. I have done it ALOT and it works perfect, + the file size will be real low, believe me.

any probs, let me know

o, and NO, u will NOT lose quality when doing alot of conversions....

Techno

Comment

• Freeflyfreak
      • Oct 2002

Thanks techno,

I am running windows XP and have NTFS, what are the best programs to use for each of these steps.
      Preferably something free and easy to use.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

ok, use the software that the firewire card has (if any) OR!! Use AVI_IO which IS free....

remember to set the MAX size per file, in MB in the input settings (I think)

AVI_IO:

Techno

Comment

Working...