Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yannis
    • Dec 2001

Loading an mpg onto VirtualDub

I have some mpg files encoded DV to MPEG2 with TMPGEnc, but when I try to import them to VirtualDub I get the:
    "MPEG Import Filter: pack synchronization error".

I also tried various encoding options and other encoding utilities, but the problem persists. I am sure I am missing something but... what ?!?!?

Thank you in advance;
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

VirtualDub can handle MPEG-1 but NOT MPEG-2 format.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

• Yannis
      • Dec 2001

i did not know VirtualDub cannot handle mpeg2; thanks

i mainly tried to do some filtering and also convert it to mpeg4; though with other utilities, e.g. flask could do the same i suppose.

[ basically, i have lots of dv tapes and make them mpeg2 with TMPGEnc and later with the divx4 codec (from the mpeg2) ]

any general suggestions? - thanks

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"make them mpeg2 with TMPGEnc and later with the divx4 codec (from the mpeg2)"

Using TMPGEnc, if you convert the files from MPEG2 to Uncompressed .AVI (Select "No compression 24 bit"), you can then load them into VirtualDub and apply any of the filters available and, at the same time, compress them into DivX format. By compressing only once, you'll retain a higher degree of quality.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Yannis
          • Dec 2001

setarip thanks;

for the mpeg2 for which i do not have their original dv, your suggestion is good!

i want to ask you though if you have the option to do:

dv -> mpeg2 -> mpeg4
          or
          dv -> mpeg4

the latter gives better quality doesn't it?

A second question is that to achieve very good quality i only get 1 1:5.5 compression from dv to mpeg4; i.e. a 200MB (~1 min) dv avi gives me an mpeg4 at >4500kbps of ~36MB.
          Any further compression gives me discernibly low quality. But the size is too big (I am trying to keep an archive of the minidv videos of my recent baby daughter (without keeping the tapes) in a good quality).

cheers

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"i only get 1 1:5.5 compression from dv to mpeg4"

That's being compressed to 18.2% of original size, which is within the "advertised" DivX/MPEG4 range.

"dv -> mpeg2 -> mpeg4"

TMPGEnc can handle the MPEG2 to MPEG4 (if you have the MPEG4 codec installed, which you apparently do). After you've loaded your MPEG2 file, click on "Output to File" (from under the "Files" dropdown menu) and select ".AVI file". Make sure that, in the box that comes up, you have checkmarks to the left of both "Video" and "Audio". If you look very carefully to the right of the compression default settings, you'll see the tiniest of slivers of selection radio buttons. If you click on these, you'll then be able to select which codecs you want to use for compression.

I don't know if TMPGEnc can directly handle DV format for input.

Let us know of your continuing success ;>}

Comment

Working...