!URGENT! conversion *.divx -file to avi /mpeg???!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eagleray
    • Nov 2002

!URGENT! conversion *.divx -file to avi /mpeg???!

hi guys, i´m quite new to this stuff, so i hope you can help me: i´m trying to convert *.divx files (not avi files with divx-codec like "name.avi", but "name.divx") to another video formt like avi or mpeg (doesn´t matter)...
    i tried tmpeg, virtualdub, powerdirector, magix video deluxe, even windows xp-movie maker, but none of them can work with the *.divx-format. does anybody know a software/conversion-tool which i could use?

thanks a lot
    ray
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

First of all there is no such thing as a .divx file format. It's a renamed avi or mp4 file, using the the .divx extension is an abomination. Unfortunatly DXN encourages the use of the .divx extension for both avi and mp4 files.

If it's an mp4 file I'am not sure what tool will let you change it to something else.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• eagleray
      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by khp
      First of all there is no such thing as a .divx file format. It's a renamed avi or mp4 file, using the the .divx extension is an abomination. Unfortunatly DXN encourages the use of the .divx extension for both avi and mp4 files.

If it's an mp4 file I'am not sure what tool will let you change it to something else.
      i´m sure you are right. but it is a file which can only be played in this strange "divx-player" i downloaded with the newest divx-codecs (5.02 i think) from the divx homepage. it wouldn´t play in any other player i have, and the divx-player has no function to save nor to convert it. what do you suggest?

thanks in advance,
      ray

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Then it's probably an MP4 file. A player like WMP4player will probably play it. But as I said I'am not sure what tools might be used for converting the file.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• MrSnail
          • Jun 2002

I had a .divx file and renamed it to .avi and it played in media player fine. Not sure if that will work for you, but it might be worth a try.
          If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Comment

Working...