Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nadav
    • Dec 2002

Is there a software to fix Divx ?

I'm trying to insert Subtitle to a movie and when it get to 80% of encoding - it crash with an Error, I checked the movie and seems that thare is a bad frames (3 bad frames) in the movie, so if there is a software which can fix it or if I can fix it using Virtual Dub?

Thanks.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: Is there a software to fix Divx ?

Originally posted by Nadav
    I'm trying to insert Subtitle to a movie and when it get to 80% of encoding - it crash with an Error, I checked the movie and seems that thare is a bad frames (3 bad frames) in the movie, so if there is a software which can fix it or if I can fix it using Virtual Dub?

Thanks.
    Try DivFix. Otherwise, try direct streaming with Virtualdub:
    1. Open file in Virtual/nandub
    2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
    3. Go to File -> Save as AVI... and give a name to the new file

Comment

• Nadav
      • Dec 2002

WOW!!! Direct Streaming is works !!

Thanks.

Another Question:
      Is there a "safe" way to encode the movie now with Subtitle without losing quality ? I can Do it with Virtual Dub that support Mp3 VBR but mybe there is a better way?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

What is your definition of safe?
        1. Does not result in additional noise that makes the video harder for the codec to compress
        2. Does not cause the system to crash, restart and cause any other grief

The first one is true in all cases, though it is nothing to be very concerned of unless you are using a particularly low bitrate. The second one is not likely and if it occurs to your system, I suggest you search for the culprit and eliminate it.

That said, I frequently use Vobsub to merge the subtitles onto my video and it has worked wonders for me. Otherwise, when I don't feel like adding additional noise to the video, I rip the subtitles into separate files and have DirectVobsub load them up for me.

Comment

• Nadav
          • Dec 2002

Yes, But... and I'll will ask in another way...

First, Using in VobSub make the movie unanable to properties (right click on the file and properties is missing !) also I want to
          make the subtitle so that when the Divx Standalone player will come out - I will be able to play Divx movies with subtitle stik inside, I don't think that the player (at list at first releases) will be able to open Divx with VobSub Subtitle .

I meant to ask if there is a way so my Divx Movie quality will not
          go low when I put the subtilte - as you know, to put the subtitle in the movie - you need to make "Full Proccesing" in Video (Add a subtitler Filter (TextSub from VobSub)) and "Direct Stream" in Audio and then you need to choose the Compression, Well I choose the highest Compression as I can according to the Length of the movie and so that the movie will be in the sized of 700 mb,
          After encoding the size is good but the quality is pretty low from the original.
          So I ask If there is a way to input the subtilte without losing quality?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I haven't tried it before, but anyway, try using Fast Recompress instead of Full Processing Mode.

Comment

• Nadav
              • Dec 2002

Fast Recompress ...

Has returning me a warning: "Filters Cannot be used if the video mode is not set to Full Proccesing mode", Seems that I have to Do it with Full Proccesing.
              Mybe I should use in another Divx codec like 5.02? (I was using codec 3.11 before ) - I'll try that and tell you what's up.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I haven't tried it before, but anyway, try using Fast Recompress instead of Full Processing Mode."

?

Comment

• gs0666
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Nov 2001

Have you tried SubMux included in the VobSub package?

Comment

• Nadav
                    • Dec 2002

If you look in my last 2 message...

You will have my reason about why I don't want to use SubMux (VobSub).

divx 5.02 is given me the same result as divx 3.11, in Divx 5 I tried to use 2 pass-second pass but the codec did'nt exept that so I did the 1 pass...

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Has returning me a warning: "Filters Cannot be used if the video mode is not set to Full Proccesing mode", Seems that I have to Do it with Full Proccesing.
                      In that case, do it with Full Processing Mode, and set the video bitrate so that the final AVI size will closely match that of your original file (so as to ensure as little information is lost as possible).

in Divx 5 I tried to use 2 pass-second pass but the codec did'nt exept that so I did the 1 pass...
                      In order to do 2-pass encoding, you need to perform the first pass (2-pass, first pass), followed by the second pass (2-pass, second pass). Before running the first pass, ensure that you have specified where you want to store the LOG file (where the codec stores information it obtains from the first pass, and which is required for the second pass).

Comment

• Nadav
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
                        In that case, do it with Full Processing Mode, and set the video bitrate so that the final AVI size will closely match that of your original file (so as to ensure as little information is lost as possible).
                        I did exactly as you mention and used a calculator to calcult the bitrate so it can fit in 700 mb - the result is that the quality is very low (not a little little lost like in Direct Stream).

It's a very sirios problem, I mean even when you want to encode Divx 3.11 (not legal) to Divx 4.12 or 5.02 - you will encountred the same problem of low quality, I (we) need a way to move from Divx 3.11 to the Legal Format which the Divx Standalone player (in the future) will support.

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

I did exactly as you mention and used a calculator to calcult the bitrate so it can fit in 700 mb - the result is that the quality is very low
                          Use the 2-pass encoding method. You should get better conversion result.

not a little little lost like in Direct Stream
                          There IS NO quality loss with Direct Streaming! I'm sure you are just under that "placebo" effect that leads you to think that some quality has been lost.

Comment

• Nadav
                            • Dec 2002

I found the program...

which encode the movie with subtitle witeout losing quality - AviSubtitler .
                            You can choose whatever codec that you like and just to make Paas 1 with 1300-1400 bitrate - Kind of wierd and not make sense - But it works ! ! !

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

Good to see that.

Comment

Working...