Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theseeker2654
    • Mar 2002

Encoding large movies? (Please Help)

OK, Im not a newbie at the whole encoding thing but I would like to know one thing??? what are you guys using to make good quality rips at 700mb... Cause i have seen them out there.. Movies that are over 2hours and they fit on one cd but they look almost as good as a dvd!!! I know i cannot get that good of quality with FlaskMpeg so I was wondering if someone could help me out and point me to software or a guide that will show me how to do good quality rips at 700mb.. also i would like to know the best way to recompress a divx file from 1.2gb to 700mb.. any help at all would be much appreciated.....
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

what are you guys using to make good quality rips at 700mb...
    Some basic things that you should be aware of for creating decent to good quality DivX:
    1. 2-pass encoding
    2. Capable encoders, such as Virtual/nandub & GordianKnot. Forget Flask
    3. Awareness of the bitrate & resolution used, and the appropriate resize mode for the particular conditions

If you haven't tried GordianKnot yet, I strongly recommend that you do. An excellent guide by a moderator of the forum, UncasMS, is freely available in this very section.

also i would like to know the best way to recompress a divx file from 1.2gb to 700mb
    A number of ways, from simply reducing the video bitrate to also reducing the audio bitrate (if the original audio stream is of very high bitrate). A basic way of reencoding an existing video file would go like this:
    1. Open video file in VD.
    2. Set Video tab to Full Processing Mode.
    3. Set Audio tab to Direct Stream Copy.
    4. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX codec. Input the new bitrate that you have determined using a bitrate calculator. Choose 2-pass encoding mode in order to minimise loss of quality.
    5. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file.

Comment

• theseeker2654
      • Mar 2002

First off thank you for your intelligent answer.. Yea i pretty much figured out just by reading around that Flask is not the way to go and i do know of 2 pass encoding it just that i havent played around with it enough.. . there are so many settings in Gordian Knot.. I guess i will just play around with them that really is the only way to really get to know what your doing.. thanks for your answers and i will try some stuff out.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Flask is not the way to go
        It was good a year ago since there weren't many alternatives. Times have changed for the better.

i do know of 2 pass encoding it just that i havent played around with it enough
        Time for you to start then. You'll find out how much better the results are.

GordianKnot may look complicated, but it really is not. Just follow the steps required slowly and you'll find that the automated task panels are just that user-friendly (you want a resolution at the correct specified aspect ratio? GK takes care of it for you; you need to know what bitrate to use for 2 CD and this MP3 file you have prepared earlier? not a problem. GK has an easy-to-use built-in calculator; etc.). Encoding has never been easier.

Comment

• theseeker2654
          • Mar 2002

And i assume that it does do 2 pass encoding?? yea i started doing all this shit like 1.5 or 2 years ago when all u could use was claddvd to rip it then u had to extract the audio to a .wav with some command line tool then u had to normalize that.. then u encoded just the video with Flaskmpeg.. then u merged and encoded audio with VD.. its way easier i would have to say...

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

And i assume that it does do 2 pass encoding??
            Absolutely. Just make sure you tell GK to do both passes, you have the right codec installed, specify where the Virtual/nandub folder is located, and you're set to go.

yea i started doing all this shit like 1.5 or 2 years ago when all u could use was claddvd to rip it then u had to extract the audio to a .wav with some command line tool then u had to normalize that.. then u encoded just the video with Flaskmpeg.. then u merged and encoded audio with VD..
            Brings up old memories. It was tedious and quality left a lot to be desired.

Comment

• Kevin AMD
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2002

2-pass encoding rules maby you could try 800mb cd's to that should increase quality to
              Let's all try to help each other

Comment

Working...