Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starseed
    • Dec 2002

Quality decrease for low-end system?

I own a 233 w/ 4MB video and 192 ram (no laughing!!!) and I don't care about the quality of DiVx. Can you suggest me some tools to reencode or convert my friend's big movies (most are divx 4.x) to make them playable on my comp.???

• Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Decreasing the bitrate and resolution of the video will be your best option:
    1. Open AVI file in Virtual/nandub
    2. Set Video tab to Full Processing Mode
    3. Set Audio tab to Direct Stream Copy
    4. Under Video tab, select Filter and choose the Resizer filter. Input an appropriate resolution (smaller than original, eg. 320x240) and use Bilinear Resizing mode.
    4. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX codec. Input the new bitrate that you have determined using a bitrate calculator (so that the final AVI size is smaller than the original). Choose 2-pass encoding mode in order to minimise loss of quality.
    5. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file

Edit: Given your low system spec, it may take some time for the conversion to finish.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 27 Dec 2002, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Starseed
      • Dec 2002

WOW!

GREAT!!! I tried it then canceled (i know it'll take a few hours) and the movie ran fine without skipping. Thanks a lot I didn't know NanDub was that good!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Always glad to help out.

Just wondering about this statement of yours: "the movie ran fine without skipping." Were you referring to the original file or the one you reencoded?

Comment

• Starseed
          • Dec 2002

Enchanter:

I was referring to the file I reencoded, of course, because I can barely get 10 fps from a normal quality Divx (700MB)

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Good to see that.

Comment

Working...