Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pazizeh
    • Dec 2002

A Computer For DivX Encoding

I was wondering if anyone knows what a really good computer is to have when encoding DVD to DivX or from DVD to VCD, SVCD etc. If you can help me find a really good computer, I'm planning on spending about $1200 and anything above is I think is a waste of money but if you think I'm wrong then please tell me because I'm still a beginner on making DivX, VCD and SVCD.
    Thank you much.

pazizeh
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Most recent computers are up to the task of achieving decent framerates for DVD to DivX encoding. The important parts for the PC would include:
    1. CPU : AthlonXP or Pentium 4
    2. RAM : DDR (266 or 333), or RDRAM (for P4 only). 256MB or more.
    3. HD : Get 80GB so you can store a lot of ripped DVD files, and never fear running out of space. RPM is not important, but you'll most likely settle for 7200RPM.
    4. GFX : 8MB or more memory. 3D capabilities are irrelevant unless you want to play games as well.
    5. Soundcard : PCI or on-board device. Make sure that they support 48KHz sound (recent models do).
    6. Have I missed anything else?

Comment

• HDRed
      • Dec 2002

An AthlonXP processor of at least 1600+ PR rating is best on the AMD side.
      A Pentium4 Northwood processor; the "B" revision is best as the frontside bus increases to 533mhz with these.

AthlonXP's aren't as bandwidth-hungry as P4's, so you'd do fine with 256mb of PC2100 DDR. However, P4's like lots of bandwidth, so if you don't plan on overclocking, get RDRAM (Rambus) memory or buy a motherboard that supports PC2700 DDR natively.

One of the 8mb cache Western Digital drives is great for large files, and the 80GB versions are really cheap at newegg.com - I've got two in a RAID0 array and they fly.

Video card - ATi produces the best DVD quality, so get an ATi card. A Radeon 8500 is good for average use, get something better if you play games, or something cheaper if you don't.

Sound card - Sound Blaster Audigy is great, get an Audigy2 if you're a real audiophile, or try the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Cooling is very important in a ripping system, as the CPU and chipset will be under 100% load for extended periods of time. Make sure you get a 3rd party heatsink that's a little beefier and heavier than the standard AMD or Intel retail heatsink.

A Pioneer DVD drive is fastest for ripping, and a Toshiba drive is best all-around so it's really a matter of preference.

Get a Lite-On burner if you plan on archiving your creations to CD.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by HDRed

Get a Lite-On burner if you plan on archiving your creations to CD.
        I can't quite agree with that. I have had a 40x Lite-On burner. With normal joliet data cds it would work, but due to errors in the burn, the cds could never be read at more than 4-8 speed. And doing mode2(without error protection) cds would fail consistently, with any kind of media (tried 4 different brands). I returned the drive and got another one (same model) that suffered from exactly the same problems. I finally got myself a Yamaha 44x burner, it works wonders compared to the Lite-On burners, it always deliver perfect results no matter what kind of media I throw at it.
        Last edited by khp; 28 Dec 2002, 11:39 AM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

I would recommend a Pentium 4 system (PIV 2.4 Ghz or above)
          At least 256 mb of ram
          A cd writer (they are very cheap now I have an LG and I have burned 300+ cd's within 1 year and no problems to date).

That's about all

Graphics cards do not affect encoding speed. However a good graphics card with tv-out might be useful (you would be able to watch your divx on tv). ATI Radeon 9700 pro is expensive....but it is a good card.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

A Radeon 8500 is good for average use, get something better if you play games, or something cheaper if you don't.
            If games are not in the horizon, a Radeon 7500 will do just as well and as a matter of fact, it's supposed to have even better 2D quality than the Radeon 8500.

ATI Radeon 9700 pro is expensive....but it is a good card.
            It is an absolute overkill of you're not going to play games with the new system.

Comment

Working...