Best Virtual dub sharpen filter for non-anime movies?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IrYoKu
    • Dec 2002

Best Virtual dub sharpen filter for non-anime movies?

What do you think?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

IMHO, anything that sharpens the video source (and hence makes it more difficult to compress) should be avoided, more so if you are using a limited amount of bitrate (let's say 1000kbps or less). The consequences of using a Sharpen filter are higher likelihood of macroblocks, line noise and picture warming.

However, if you insist on using the Sharpen filter, you could give Donald Graft's Avisynth Plug-in MSharpen a try. It is specifically designed for anime, but is said to work well with normal movies as well.

Comment

• IrYoKu
      • Dec 2002

I didt know that... from what I have read it is recommended to do a subtle sharpen to the image, but you might be right I will investigate a little
      thanks!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• IrYoKu
          • Dec 2002

enchanter a question what resolution you uses for divx- xvid (from VHS source)? I have posted a message in xvid section, I have got some information about the best capture size, but I doubt about the final image size

Thanks!

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

It depends on what bitrate you are using. As a general rule of thumb, use no higher than 640x() for a bitrate of around 1000. The recommended resolution scales linearly with the bitrate.

In your case if VHS capture however, I recommend that you add some smoothing step as well to remove video noise (and make the video more compressible). Convolution3D will work very nicely for you and there are some presets (available in the plug-in's readme file) that you can use.

Comment

• IrYoKu
              • Dec 2002

I am using bitrates of 1400-1500, so I think I will use 640x480...

I use temporal cleaner for noise, but I will also try convolution3d thanks!!

Comment

Working...