Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tarrant
    • Jan 2002

First Time Poster Needs Help Badly!

Hey guys, I've got a seemingly small problem here that seems impossible to fix. Here's my tale of woe...

I've got a handful of .asf files ranging from 33 to 400MB in size. All of them play just fine on WinXP Pro using Media Player 8 but none of them will track...meaning I can't fast forward. The first thing I did was try and use VDub 1.3c to convert them to .avi. When I did, I'd always get the "Couldn't locate decompressor for format "WMV2" (unknown)". Okay, I then tried using ASFTools to "repair" the files. While it went thru the complete repair routine just fine, VDub still gave me the same error when I'd try and convert them.

Next I tried TMPGEnc. It would work but would never complete the entire conversion process because it would lock up 10 or so minutes into the conversion. Using GraphEdit, I was able to decompress(?) the file but the resulting size was just too big. For example, it made a 33MB .asf into a 3GB .avi. That's just too big to keep around on a drive. And since the majority of my .asf files are around the 400MB mark, the resultant .avi that would be created using this method would be astronomical in size...probably around 30GB.

Surely there has to be a way to convert these things into a manageable .avi or .mpeg. To be honest, I'd settle for a .asf file that would simply track thru the entire movie. I've tried a couple of other forums about this problem and no one has been able to figure it out. Any ideas or recommendations would be great. Thx in advance!!

Tarrant
  • Tarrant
    • Jan 2002

This doesn't look good. 15 views and no replies. Surely someone has a suggestion or two. I'm at a standstill on this...

Comment

• Nickmavros
      • Dec 2001

The only thing that I can tell you is that I don't really trust asf format.
      When someone brings me a movie with this format (or even mpg) I just say no.
      I am an avi fun
      So I just can't help you.
      ....come to take a trip with me in Future World.

Comment

• Tarrant
        • Jan 2002

I heard that. This .wmv and .asf stuff is the worst. I'd much rather work with .avi files.

I've been working my way thru using GraphEdit on these things and I can definitely see what the problem is. The video compression inside the file(s) is Windows Media Video. That's what is keeping VDub from converting. If I can only figure out how to re-encode to another format using GraphEdit I think I'll be good to go. More as I have it...

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"To be honest, I'd settle for a .asf file that would simply track thru the entire movie"

This appears to be a deficiency with .ASF format. Even when I've created my own .ASF files (converting .AVI to .ASF with Vidtoasf) I was never able to get a positive result from setting the "-seekable" command to "ON".

Comment

• Tarrant
            • Jan 2002

Now THAT is interesting. I had the same trouble with a few smaller .asf files. I washed them thru the ASFTools program with the repair option and it fixed the tracking on them. However, those didn't have any WMV encoding in them. These that do are the ones that are giving me so much trouble.

I'm going to stay on top of this and figure it out if it kills me. I'm 99% sure that this GraphEdit program is the answer. I just need to figure out how it works . Thx for the response guys. Rest assured that I'll post back when I figure it out. And, if anyone has more ideas, please throw them this way...

Tarrant

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Do let us know what you discover!

Comment

Working...