Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stoo
    • Dec 2001

file size question

hi Im very new to this and after posting this Im going to check out sum articals, but I think Ive mis understood what to do
    I ripped my fist dvd the other day. its gostbusters. I used smart rip to get it into my hard drive and then I used flask mpeg to convert it to divx. I got the gide from nickys digital solutions page.

I dident set the sound in the audio compressin setting and just left that alone. I set the video setting to divx lo motion and I used the advanced bit rate calculator to set the bitrate. on the imput space on the fist tab of the calc I put 1 80min cd it told me the bit rate to set and I did.
    I assumed that it ment that the end result would fit onto a 80min cd but the end file is 1.38 gb.
    what Id like to no is what do I have to do to fit it on to a cd?..
    how do I set flask up so that the end file will fit on to a cd?...is it as simple as setting the sound? such as mp3?... or would I need to split the divx and put it on to 2 cds..?
    I expected it to look crap but it looked really good and I was amazed at the results... if any one can help or explan this that would be cool
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Hi

You need to get a bitrate calculator, to find the correct bitrate, to make a movie fit a certain file size.

Digital Digest DivX XviD Software Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI software, latest news and updates

Also you should alway use mpeg layer 3 audio for sound, otherwise you might get uncompressed audio which will takeup huge abounts of space.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• stoo
      • Dec 2001

thanks for the reply, Im going to clear sum stuff off my computer to make space then do it again with mp3 sound.... i have the bitrae calc but I dont thingk I used it right or I used the rong sound......
      thanks
      stoo

Comment

• Nickmavros
        • Dec 2001

This happened because you used PCM sound (not compressed).You sould use mp3 sound for 1-cd movies.
        You sould "inform" the calculator about the sound you are going to use(bitrate e.g. 128 kbits) and the duration of the movie.Then use the bitrate the calculator suggests when you configure the video codec in flaskmpeg.
        Also use the bitrate of the sound to configure sound-codec (e.g. 128 kbit) in flaskmpeg.
        Of course you need to have a mp3-codec installed on your system.(I guess you have).
        I suggest you to put a movie in one cd only if its duration is below 2 hours.(if you want to have a good picture-quality)
        I would also suggest you to use the new codec divx 4.12 and 2-pass encoding to get the best quality you can.
        You can find guides on to how to use that codec.Is a litttle more difficult but it worths it. (I forgot to say that it takes the double time to compress the movie!!!)
        ....come to take a trip with me in Future World.

Comment

• stoo
          • Dec 2001

I have the divx 4.12 codec but Ive been using divx lomo......
          any tips on where to get the gide for 4.12 or is it just the same... Im trying the method you gave me in the morning, but can I ask what is 2 pass?....
          I assume it means running the process twice but wont that affect the qulity?... any tips on where to get info?... Im curius to no how it works and the method....
          how long should the normal process take?.. using divx4 lo mo it took 3 hours which surprised me becuse I was expecting 15hours?...
          if I use the 2 pass method should I expect it to take 12 hours?
          please tell moer or give me a web artical to read if you can..
          thanks again
          stoo

Comment

• stoo
            • Dec 2001

er I ment 6 hours not 12

Comment

• stoo
              • Dec 2001

I found the artical on 2 pass so I also check that out in the morning... thanks again

Comment

• Nickmavros
                • Dec 2001

I have read an article at nicky pages site.
                If you have found tha article then I guess your questions will be asnwered.If not fill free to ask.
                ....come to take a trip with me in Future World.

Comment

Working...