MPEG2-SVCD to DIVX walkthrough (something in return?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitkatdd
    • Jan 2003

MPEG2-SVCD to DIVX walkthrough (something in return?)

I need an MPEG->DIVX walkthrough. I'll try to...snail mail a copy of the video to whoever can make this really clear to me? Something. Unless you want to do it out of the goodness of your heart!

My friend, who has no experience with conversion, got a single-file 3GB rip (not bin or anything, just one bigass .mpeg) of the Two Towers screener. AviCodec reported that its audio is MPEG-1 and its video is MPEG-2/SVCD. He still hasn't told me the length (apparently, WinMedPl isn't reporting it accurately), but I"m sure I'll get him to tell me that...and the resolution...eventually. He can't send me the file to do it myself, because I have a cruddy connection, so any experimentation someone wants me to do myself is gonna have to be w/ a small MPEG (but how I'd find a tiny one in that format beats me)...

I had him try using VDub (based on my memory of the program) to convert a small MPEG movie--it came out 3x the size at a bitrate of 780.

Can someone help walk me through this conversion so I understand it (I've ripped a few DVDs that gave me no problems--gave up on the ones where I had to work w/ deinterlacing) and so I can explain it to him over the internet? He's going to mail me the rip as soon as he can get it into a 2CD DivX format (if you just want to give me instructions on making a single 1400MB DivX, that's cool--I know how to split from there).

Oh yeah, one more thing--I want to do this in DivX4, because he doesn't want to download Divx5. He doesn't have divx4 as far as I can tell, so can someone give me the proper link (I assume it's divx412, but I want to make sure)?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Alternatively, using TMPGEnc you can divide the "single-file 3GB rip" into smaller segments, so that they can fit on multiple cd's.

I believe TMPGEnc can also output to divx.

Comment

• kitkatdd
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Batman
      Alternatively, using TMPGEnc you can divide the "single-file 3GB rip" into smaller segments, so that they can fit on multiple cd's.

I believe TMPGEnc can also output to divx.
      1--We don't want a 5CD svcd rip, plus we don't know how to make svcd actually work right. 2CD DivX highly preferable.
      2--I don't know how to use TMPGEnc for either of these processes. Would need a walk-through.

Comment

• gs0666
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Nov 2001

"Oh yeah, one more thing--I want to do this in DivX4, because he doesn't want to download Divx5. He doesn't have divx4 as far as I can tell, so can someone give me the proper link (I assume it's divx412, but I want to make sure)?"

Here's the link to "crappy"
        DivX4

and here's a MPEG-->DivX Guide

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

You may find this detailed "Walkthrough" of value:

I agree with gs0666 about the "Crapiness" of the divx 4.12 codec. Secondly, if you split the 3gb file you would be creating a 4cd not 5 cd svcd rip. Also, since you are re-encoding you will lose quality, the amount of quality lost depends on which settings you employ during the re-encoding process.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

ok, that was DVD ripping, but i am making more guides, the site is currently down - bandwidth! hehehe

MPEG > DIVX? depends, mpeg1/2? for MPEG2 follow the links on my site (or above) for MPEG1, simple, load it in Virtualdub, use a bitrate calc to calculate the bitrate, then select the DIVX 3.11alpha low motion codec, 75 crisp and slide the bitrate to whatever the answer was in the calc, then make the audio 44100Hz 128kbps and then goto file > save as avi and save it!

good luck

Techno

Comment

Working...