Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kelleybean
    • Jan 2003

I cannot convert files!!!!!

Could someone please help me???? I'm trying to convert some movie files, but I'm a complete beginner. My problem is that a couple of my files are huge (around 400 mg)and others are around 150. I've been working with this so long, I've almost decided it's not possible to compress the big ones any more. I've read sooo many tutorials; I try to change things, like the framerate or the bitrate; and I try different codecs (I've tried TONS!) but the darn file size is ALWAYS bigger!!! Or only smaller by a tiny little bit. What the heck am I doing wrong? I use both VirtualDub and FlaskMPG right now. If anyone is willing to help, just let me know what you need to know. I'm about to rip all my hair out!!!
    Last edited by kelleybean; 31 Jan 2003, 02:17 PM.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Assuming your files are MPG files:
    1. Open MPG file in VirtualDub.
    2. Set Video and Audio tabs to Full Processing Mode.
    3. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX codec. Configure the settings, as required.
    4. Under Audio, select Compression and select a codec (eg. MP3). Choose a desired bitrate (eg. 128kbps).
    5. If the source resolution is not divisible by 16, you will need to resize it to conform to the factor-of-16 requirement. Use the Resize filter with Precise Bicubic mode.
    6. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file.

If you are working with MPEG-2 files, use VirtualDubMod instead and rename the MPG file to VOB (so that VDMod will recognise and open it).

Comment

• kelleybean
      • Jan 2003

thank god someone replied!!!

Thing is, the steps you described are exactly what I do (except for resizing the file-it's already 320x240). The stuff you suggested is what I'd already learned from reading tutorials on this site and others. I tried it again while I was waiting for someone to reply. Same thing happened--it resulted in a larger file size! Exactly what settings am I supposed to be configuring??

When I did just this, I used the divx 5.0.2 video codec, and lowered the bitrate by like, a thousand, just to see what would happen. My beginning file was 445 mg, and the one I ended up with was 587mg!!! The bitrate was the only "configure" item that I changed, cause I don't really know what the heck else I should be changing.

Also, and this may be my problem in the first place (i dunno) the selection of audio codecs that I have is kinda sparse. And I don't have anything that says mp3. Are there any you can suggest using?

Thank you for your help!!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

1. Load up the converted file (AVI) into Virtualdub
        2. Go to File -> File Information
        3. Post what you see here

This way we can see what the contents of the converted file is and determine what could possibly have gone wrong with the procedure.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Also, and this may be my problem in the first place (i dunno) the selection of audio codecs that I have is kinda sparse. And I don't have anything that says mp3."

You bet that's your problem! Click on the link to DivXDigest at the top of this page and download and then install the Radium .MP3 codec (After installing, reboot your system)...

Comment

• kelleybean
            • Jan 2003

I love you people!!!! I reckon it was the audio thing, cause now my file's down to 108!!! I've been tinkering with this little problem for (seriously) months! I should've just asked for an audio codec in the first place, I've tried several, but every single audio codec link on the entire web seems to be broken, even the radium one.

Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you both!

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

I was actually reading your previous post a bit too quickly. Missed the last paragraph about the MP3 codec. Anyway, good to see it worked out for you.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you both!"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...