Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joemacau
    • Jan 2003

divx can't larger 2GB

I got a divx file abc.divx(not .avi),it reach 2GB file size. I thought it stop writing to harddisk when the file reach 2GB when I was doing encoding.
    Now that file can't read by the player, how can I use your tool divfix to fix it?(because your tool only allow avi format)

Best regards
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Are you creating the AVI file (It is a DivX-compressed AVI file, for your information)? Or are you downloading it?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"abc.divx(not .avi)"

It's probably in .AVI format, even though it has a ".divx" extender. Just change the extender to ".avi" and try using either DivFix or similar...

Comment

• joemacau
        • Jan 2003

Yes,the .avi file was created together with the divx file(encode with 5.02pro). BUT I deleted the .avi file already.
        I also tried to rename .divx -> .avi and fixed it with divfix tool, but error "This is not a AVI file".
        Dear all, how can I fix the .divx file, please?

Regards

Comment

• techno
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Nov 2001

I just don't understand how on earth a DIVX file can be as large as that......how long does this video last for?

Also, are u sure that the audio u are compressing to is MP3? What happens if u try to save the file without the audio (sure about 60-90+MB difference without the audio, but u never know)

What happens if u load it in Virtualdub? Will it produce an error? If not, I thought u might be able to save parts of the file then watch them like that or re-join in them in some way to see if it produces any errors.

personally, I wouldn't use DIVX v4/5 but anyway, just for a shot, what happens if u encode it with DIVX v3.11alpha? (JUST a suggestion...nothing more)

Comment

• joemacau
            • Jan 2003

Thanks a lot!!

The video last one hour only but I'm not sure the audio is MP3 compressed or not.

I tried the Virtualdub, but it accepts only .avi and error "can't load the file type"even I changed the file extension from .divx to .avi

Because I lost the video source, the .divx file is my only thing remain in the earth........thanks god

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by joemacau
              Yes,the .avi file was created together with the divx file(encode with 5.02pro).
              Sounds like you created an mp4 file (foolishly called .divx by DXN). Exactly how much experience do you have with this ?. Unless you are absolutly sure you know what you are doing, I strongly suggest you stick to avi files.

mp4 files are only playable with a few special players, like the DivX player, or by using some special filters like the Mpegable mp4 DS filters. And of course the audio formats supported by mp4 files is also extremely limited.

AFAIK there is no tools for repairing damaged mp4 files. The player should take care of any recoverable errors.
              Last edited by khp; 4 Feb 2003, 02:44 PM.
              Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
              http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• joemacau
                • Jan 2003

Thanks khp,

Mpegable mp4 has the MPEG-4 Video SDK (http://www.mpegable.com/showPage.php...GE=mpegablesdk) which including
                Error resilience tools.
                Do you think it can solve my problem?

Regards,

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

Unless you are planning to write your own tool, I don't think you will have much use of the SDK.

If the Mpegable player, does'nt play the file, then I doubt you will ever get it to work.

Comment

• joemacau
                    • Jan 2003

Mpegable player allow open .mp4 only, .divx can't be regonized...
                    Thanks all, really no help for my file??............

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by joemacau
                      Mpegable player allow open .mp4 only, .divx can't be
                      Try renameing to .mp4 , if that doesn't help, then you are lost.

Comment

• joemacau
                        • Jan 2003

I really tried to rename to .mp4 as soon as I got the play, but still can't.
                        divx is not a standard mp4 format, is it?

Comment

• Soul
                          • Jan 2002

You may have already sortoed this problem, but forgive me if Im wrong but file sizes limited to 2 gb is just how the FAT32 file system works. To resolve this, the next time you format your pc use either win2k or winxp and choose to format with the other format whose name is on the tip of my tongue but I cqant remember

Comment

• ShuMO
                            • Dec 2002

NTFS I believe

Soul, I think that was what label you were searching for.
                            I routinely work with 15+GB files... (Uncompressed 640/480 caps) although I recently discovered that HuffyUV seems to do a great job as well and is Lossless.

As to the comment that 'Divx is not a standard MP4' joem, there really isn't a standard mp4 yet. Just flavors of it. Right now theres at least 5 that I know of. I dont have anything helpful to offer regarding your problem, unless you have the ability to restart this job.
                            ShuMO

Comment

Working...