X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luke1457
    • Jan 2002

DVD --> DivX a/v sync problems - please assist

Dear All,
    I apologise if this has been answered before, but after reading all similar posts I couldn't find the answer; or the answers supplied didn't work.

I'm trying to convert a DVD to DivX 5.
    I have a full-backup (done with SmartRipper 2.41) of a DVD on my HDD. I used FlaskMPEG 0.54 to encode it into DivX 5; with the audio set as MP3 48khz, 128kbps. I left the video res & framerate (25fps) to be the same as the source. It encodes, but te audio is otu of sync - and gets worse as the movie progresses. ie: it may be 1 second out during the 1st fe minutes of the film; but it can be 15 -30 seconds out by the end of the film.
    Iv'e tried the "load in virtualdub; set 'change so video and audio durations match' " trick, and it doesn't work. And I think it makes it worse. Could anyone please help? I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try either AVSync or Synchronizer to remedy the problem.

In the future, if you're using Flask v.0.594 (0.594PX3 is an improved, more stable version), I'd suggest the following procedure:

1) Convert to .AVI using Flask v.0.594PX3 (improved conversion time versus "plain vanilla" 0.594 - and less prone to lockup)
    A) Using DivX v.3.11 codec (Fast Motion 910kbps, keyframe every 10 seconds) or other DivX codec, or Xvid codec
    B) Using PCM (uncompressed) audio at 48,000Hz (Maintains synchronization of audio and video)

2) Load .AVI into VirtualDub
    A) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    B) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
    C) Under "Audio", click on "Conversion", select "44,100Hz" (or 48,000Hz, if this doesn't present a playback problem for you)
    D) Under "Audio", click on "Compression" select "MP3", "44,100Hz" (or 48,000Hz), "96Kbps" (or higher)
    E) Save revised .AVI with new filename

Comment

• luke1457
      • Jan 2002

ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot.

Would you have a link to the "0.594PX3" version download page?

Also, is there a specialized bitrate calculator for use with DivX 5? Because I used an older bitrate calc and the files produced were bigger than "advertised".

If not, do you have a favourite bitrate calculator that you'd recommend?
      Last edited by luke1457; 31 Jan 2003, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• luke1457
          • Jan 2002

Further problems

OK, now I have a properly-synched DivX file with PCM audio.
          When I tried using VirtualDub to convert the audfio to MP3 - it crashes after around 1-2 minutes of erncoding. It always crashes in the same spot.
          It reports 0fps rendering speed, and the "time reamining" increases - yet the program "runs" continuilly.
          Anyone know why this happens and how to correct it?
          Alternatively, I ripped the PCM audio track to a WAV file (using Virtual Dub) and encoded it to MP3 using my MP3 encoder. What program can I use to replace the PCM audio track with my self-made MP3 one??

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Alternatively, I ripped the PCM audio track to a WAV file (using Virtual Dub) and encoded it to MP3 using my MP3 encoder. What program can I use to replace the PCM audio track with my self-made MP3 one??
            Nandub.

1. Open AVI file in nandub
            2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
            3. Open your self-encoded MP3 file from under the Audio tab
            4. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file

The new AVI file will contain the same video information as the original file, but uses the MP3 file instead of the WAV file.

Comment

• luke1457
              • Jan 2002

Could someone give me a download link to nandub. All I can find is some hacked EXE for it called "Nandub SBC" or something.

Comment

Working...