Hardware suggestions for fast encoding...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martinlw
    • Feb 2003

Ok sorry I just have to make clear all the arguments about RAMBUS, because even the people that think they know about it, really don't.

Just wanna say first that I don't like rambus and their underhanded tactics and overpriced parts, and never have owned any of their stuff, so I'm not a fanboy or anything.

First of all, there was a comparison: "You will see that a DDR266 based board outpreform a PC1066 based board in divx encoding."

This is *only* on a granite bay mobo, which only just came out (rdram1066 was out ages ago). If you look to the future, the new SIS chipset with quad channel rdram (1200 rdram) is about to come out will BLOW anything ddr, or ddr-2 out of the water. INCLUDING granite bay. The only thing that will come close (or surpass it) is intel's upcoming quad channel ddr chipset, but that won't be for a long time yet.
    HOWEVER let's note that Intel has afaik dropped all support for the rambus platform, so don't expect nice intel chipsets out in the future - which pretty much guarantees death of the platform, which is a fair reason not to even get rambus. In conclusion though, I do not see DDR SDRAM as the clear perf winner *just yet* but possibly in the future (ignoring price).

"AMD processors are terrible if you want fast (DDR and above) memory because their fastest FSB is almost a quarter of the P4"

Ok as it currently stands p4 platforms (northwood) have a FSB that can shuffle 4.2 Gb/s of data (133 mhz quad pumped, 64 bit) to the cpu. AMD platforms (thoroughbred-b) have a FSB than can transfer 2.6 Gb/s of data (166 mhz, dual pumped, 64 bit) to the cpu. (roughly heh)
    P4 is the clear winner in terms of raw bandwidth: it has nearly DOUBLE and NOT (not 4x) the bandwidth of a comparable AMD platform. However there are other issues, like whether the bus actually does transfer the maximum amount - here latencies, synchronous/asynch fsb/mem clock, sse2 etc come into play, but p4 is still the clear winner.

and then a response..... "It's true that the P4 uses a higher FSB, but Intel only achived the higher FSB by reducing the bus width."
    Intel did NOT achieve a higher FSB by reducing the bus width. The p3 coppermine could transfer around 1 Gb/s also at 64 bit. What he meant was that Intel achieved higher clock speeds by *increasing* the length of the pipelines within - which of course has adverse effects on latencies and IPC as he said.

They didn't go for higher clockspeeds just to woo the customers - their engineers believe it or not think differently to their marketers - they did it to avoid the problem that AMD is currently having - where their cpu architecture is having trouble ramping up altho they have done magnificently well in trying to keep up. Their latest release though, Barton, is a bit too little, too late with an overly optimistic ratings scheme (which someone else already pointed out). The only thing going for AMD atm is that their cpus are a little cheaper, but not by a lot. Essentially its the FSB that is holding AMD back - even with the sweet new doubling of cache.

As for the 10x increase in encoding performance for I26... look at it this way: he prolly doesn't have a good measurement of frame rates... its not like he re-divx-ed a movie he did with his old machine *with the exact same software* and recorded the times.. he says 3fps to 28 fps which is say, 9x... but it could well be more like 5 fps to 25 fps which is 5x... taking into account advances in software n other changes stuff. So its a fine line, and all fairly credible IMO.

In conclusion, i dunno much about divx encoding still, i think I know more about hardware, but prolly still not that much, but I think I've been accurate so far. </rant>

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by I26
      i went from 3.xfps avg to about 28.xfps avg while encoidng.
      I really really hate having to repeat myself, but you are not doing a fair comparison. And 3 fps on a 500mhz P3 does seem rather slow to me, but since you don't say a single word about how this was done I can't say for sure.

Originally posted by I26

I don't know what else to say. Maybe you think I am bs'ing you but I really have no reason to.
      Do a fair comparison, use the exact same movie and settings on both machines, state the time it takes to encoded the movie for each machine, state the settings used,and state the system configuration for both.

Originally posted by I26

The numbers are what they are other than that I just don't know what to say.
      So far you have only been throwing around random numbers, taken completly out of context and compared them. This is utterly useless to me.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by martinlw

This is *only* on a granite bay mobo, which only just came out (rdram1066 was out ages ago).
        Yes of course, When comparing Rambus and DDRRam, I will of course use the newest avaliable boards for both. Anything else would be completly rediculess.

And I really really hate making predictions about future products, anyone who does, should be prepared to end up looking like a fool. But as to the preformance of a future quad channel 1200mhz Rambus board, I strongly suspect that the preformance will be anything but earthshattering.
        SIS is not exactly know for making high preformance chipsets, and history has shown that using a memory interface with a higher bandwidth than the fsb can handle, is of little or no use. If we were to count memory bandwidth like that, the platform with the highest memory bandwidth, would be the Athlon+Nforce2 which uses dualchannel DDR333 memory to achive a total of 5.3GB/s. Of course this is of little use because the athlon's FSB is limited to 2.66GB/s.

Intel did NOT achieve a higher FSB by reducing the bus width. The p3 coppermine could transfer around 1 Gb/s also at 64 bit.

Intel went from a 133 mhz 64bit bus, to 2 16bit busses running 400mhz(double pumped to make it work like a 800mhz 32 bit bus). How is this not a reduction in bus width ?

OK maybe I should have said that Intel only partially achived the higher fsb mhz, by reducing the bus width.
        Last edited by khp; 28 Feb 2003, 05:19 AM.

Comment

• I26
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by khp
          I really really hate having to repeat myself, but you are not doing a fair comparison. And 3 fps on a 500mhz P3 does seem rather slow to me, but since you don't say a single word about how this was done I can't say for sure.

Do a fair comparison, use the exact same movie and settings on both machines, state the time it takes to encoded the movie for each machine, state the settings used,and state the system configuration for both.

So far you have only been throwing around random numbers, taken completly out of context and compared them. This is utterly useless to me.
          I never said it was fair. I simply stated what the p3 machine would do and what the p4 machine would do. I am not here to start a debate or an arguement....if I knew it would head down that road I would have said nothing at all.

The 3.x fps on the p3 machine is not much different than the very first post in this topic. He stated he has a p3 733MHz machine getting only 5fps. So i would guesstimate 3.x fps is not bad for a p3 500MHz. I could sometimes nail down a 4.0fps but not the entire process. I did already do the same movie on both machines if you really must know. It was 17h on the p3 machine using flask and divx 5.02 with setting set to 1-pass quality based(only cause i was testing), Used GMC and Biderectional Encoding, and set Performance/Quality to slowest setting. In flask i used Bicubic Filtering, used Miha's x187 Reference iDCT, decoded audio at 48k. Other settings i may have set but they were exact for both. It took a few minutes over 2h on this p4 machine.

Specs are for the p3 500MHz : 640MB pc100SDRAM, Intel 440BX Chipset, rest of struff is the same as my p4 machine. I swapped parts to build it. I used old parts to reconstruct the p3 to get it back in use for my wife.

Specs for my p4 machine u can see below. Once again....sorry if any of this confused you but I was only trying to help the topic starter get some ideas on time it takes to encode using a setup like my current.

Homegrown Desktop:
          P4 2.4 @ 2.7
          ATI 9700pro @ 419.4/730.8
          3dMark01--17,189
          Air Cooled System Temps @ Benchtime: 2c--MB / 4c--CPU

Dell 8600 Inspiron Laptop:
          Pentium M 1.4GHz
          NVidiaGF Go5650
          3dMark01--9,842

Comment

• I26
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jun 2002

Ok sorry I just have to make clear all the arguments about RAMBUS, because even the people that think they know about it, really don't.

Just wanna say first that I don't like rambus and their underhanded tactics and overpriced parts, and never have owned any of their stuff, so I'm not a fanboy or anything.

First of all, there was a comparison: "You will see that a DDR266 based board outpreform a PC1066 based board in divx encoding."

This is *only* on a granite bay mobo, which only just came out (rdram1066 was out ages ago). If you look to the future, the new SIS chipset with quad channel rdram (1200 rdram) is about to come out will BLOW anything ddr, or ddr-2 out of the water. INCLUDING granite bay. The only thing that will come close (or surpass it) is intel's upcoming quad channel ddr chipset, but that won't be for a long time yet.
            HOWEVER let's note that Intel has afaik dropped all support for the rambus platform, so don't expect nice intel chipsets out in the future - which pretty much guarantees death of the platform, which is a fair reason not to even get rambus. In conclusion though, I do not see DDR SDRAM as the clear perf winner *just yet* but possibly in the future (ignoring price).

"AMD processors are terrible if you want fast (DDR and above) memory because their fastest FSB is almost a quarter of the P4"

Ok as it currently stands p4 platforms (northwood) have a FSB that can shuffle 4.2 Gb/s of data (133 mhz quad pumped, 64 bit) to the cpu. AMD platforms (thoroughbred-b) have a FSB than can transfer 2.6 Gb/s of data (166 mhz, dual pumped, 64 bit) to the cpu. (roughly heh)
            P4 is the clear winner in terms of raw bandwidth: it has nearly DOUBLE and NOT (not 4x) the bandwidth of a comparable AMD platform. However there are other issues, like whether the bus actually does transfer the maximum amount - here latencies, synchronous/asynch fsb/mem clock, sse2 etc come into play, but p4 is still the clear winner.

and then a response..... "It's true that the P4 uses a higher FSB, but Intel only achived the higher FSB by reducing the bus width."
            Intel did NOT achieve a higher FSB by reducing the bus width. The p3 coppermine could transfer around 1 Gb/s also at 64 bit. What he meant was that Intel achieved higher clock speeds by *increasing* the length of the pipelines within - which of course has adverse effects on latencies and IPC as he said.

They didn't go for higher clockspeeds just to woo the customers - their engineers believe it or not think differently to their marketers - they did it to avoid the problem that AMD is currently having - where their cpu architecture is having trouble ramping up altho they have done magnificently well in trying to keep up. Their latest release though, Barton, is a bit too little, too late with an overly optimistic ratings scheme (which someone else already pointed out). The only thing going for AMD atm is that their cpus are a little cheaper, but not by a lot. Essentially its the FSB that is holding AMD back - even with the sweet new doubling of cache.

As for the 10x increase in encoding performance for I26... look at it this way: he prolly doesn't have a good measurement of frame rates... its not like he re-divx-ed a movie he did with his old machine *with the exact same software* and recorded the times.. he says 3fps to 28 fps which is say, 9x... but it could well be more like 5 fps to 25 fps which is 5x... taking into account advances in software n other changes stuff. So its a fine line, and all fairly credible IMO.

In conclusion, i dunno much about divx encoding still, i think I know more about hardware, but prolly still not that much, but I think I've been accurate so far. </rant>
            In reality though i did do the same flick twice. As a matter of fact I just did it the other night. I wanted it to have better quality so I ran it using the 3ivX codec which was encode #3 to see how it would turn out. And yes i did use the same software. I use all the software normally off the cd i burn it to. I only upgrade the stuff when I feel a need or I read about some new advancement in the quality or speed. When i reinstall my OS I pop in the cd and install all the tools i use/like and go to it. I update later down the road when it matters to me. As far as RAMBUS....I heard good things about the Asus board I purchased and it runs on RAMBUS. I am not out to have the badest pc on the block...I could never afford to keep up with the "Jones". What works for one might not work for another.

Homegrown Desktop:
            P4 2.4 @ 2.7
            3dMark01--17,189

Pentium M 1.4GHz
            NVidiaGF Go5650
            3dMark01--9,842

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by I26
              I never said it was fair. I simply stated what the p3 machine would do and what the p4 machine would do.
              Yes but using your method of argueing, I could setup an encodeing, that would achive about 20fps on a 3GHz P4, and setup another encoding on my AthlonXP1700 that would do 80 fps. And conclude that my AthlonXP is four times faster than an 3Ghz P4.

My point is that when you don't do a fair comparison, you can twist the facts to fir what ever conclusion you wish to make.
              Last edited by khp; 28 Feb 2003, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

I don't think there will ever be an end to this AMD vs. Intel arguments. It's been done and beaten to death over and over at many other forums, with no clear indication as to which is supremely and clearly better. Therefore, I suggest we put this one case to rest.

What I can suggest is for the original poster of the thread to consider his budget and determine what he can and should get. AFAIK, AMD chips have always offered better performance per price ratio, and is hence suitable for those looking for value (especially those on a budget). For those looking for the baddest chip on the block, I have no doubt that the current latest Intel chip is the king, though at a significantly higher price. whi55l, it's your call . . .

Comment

• chickeneater
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2002

If you want cheap prices for good stuff, go to www.pricewatch.com because it is a really good place to find the cheapest online prices for computer components.
                  FFDShow filters
                  Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• chickeneater
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2002

ok. I just checked pricewatch, and the amd 2.16Ghz at 333Mhz is $590 american!! way too expensive (its the xp 3000)

whereas the P4 2.26Ghz at 533Mhz is a mere $168 and going down.
                    clearly amd is NOT cheaper than Intel, and it is 2.26 vs 2.16, and 533 vs 333!

Do you people not understand??
                    case settled...

at least for enchanter *just kidding*

EDIT... Just checked PW again and the P4 3.06Ghz hyperthreading technology 533Mhz is only $568! $22 cheaper than the amd 2.16!!!!!!
                    Last edited by chickeneater; 28 Feb 2003, 11:02 AM.
                    FFDShow filters

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by chickeneater
                      ok. I just checked pricewatch, and the amd 2.16Ghz at 333Mhz is $590 american!! way too expensive (its the xp 3000)

whereas the P4 2.26Ghz at 533Mhz is a mere $168 and going down.
                      clearly amd is NOT cheaper than Intel, and it is 2.26 vs 2.16, and 533 vs 333!
                      I will aggree that the AthlonXP3000+ is way overpriced, this is inpart due to the very short supplies that has been released by AMD so far.

Anyways I never understood why anyone would spend more than 150$ on a CPU. It'll lose 50% or more of it's value in less 12 months.

Comment

• chickeneater
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2002

ok, a little off topic, but khp since you are here, there is a thread that I made for you about the "folding cpu thing"
                        you should check it out
                        FFDShow filters

Comment

• I26
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by chickeneater
                          If you want cheap prices for good stuff, go to www.pricewatch.com because it is a really good place to find the cheapest online prices for computer components.
                          Don't trust every price you see on that site.If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. I once did a check for a vid card there and then looked up the top sellers on www.resellerratings.com amd most had a rating of less than 5 out of 10 and some down in the 2's. Nothing but horror stories. Newegg.com rates in the nines i believe and that is where i got straight to for my stuff now. I ordered my stuff day after x-mas and had it the following day. From West Coast at 5 to East Coast by noon next day. For $22 shipping I felt it was to good to pass up. Newegg rocks.

Homegrown Desktop:
                          P4 2.4 @ 2.7
                          3dMark01--17,189

Pentium M 1.4GHz
                          NVidiaGF Go5650
                          3dMark01--9,842

Comment

• chickeneater
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2002

yes, I ordered stuff from newegg too, also from www.novapcs.com (not as good as they used to be), www.nexthardwareshop.com is good right now, and sometimes the price at the site is better than on pricewatch, espescially with nexthardwareshop.
                            FFDShow filters

Comment

• whi55l
                              • Jan 2002

WOW.... this topic certainly has taken off!!

For an update on my system, I went out and bought a AMD 2100 XP processor and a relevant motherboard (no-idea which one, i just needed one to work with the CPU at the time) I also upgraded to WinXp, over my existing Win 98 setup...

Encoding times have increased by at least 2.5x's im now getting roughly 12 - 13 fps using the same settings as I was using b4....

I am still using my original RAM which was PC133 256mb and my 20gig 7200rpm HDD....

Im happy with the results.... Im a university student so I cant really afford the top of the line PC... Im happy and thats all that matters!!

cheers

Comment

• Enchanter
                                Old member
                                • Feb 2002

Re: whi55l

You're one of those few posters here who have created a thread that can spark long posts, be they arguments or just feedback.

That said, congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for quite some time.

Comment

Working...