Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poiuytrewqmnbvc
    • Feb 2003

Fix Computer Heating

I'm Trying to convert a dvd to divx and every time i try it goes 10-50% done and then my computer freezes the last thread on why this happens recieved a reply hat it was overheating but how do i fix this problem???????????????????????????
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

1. Install additional chassis fans
    2. Improve internal airflows by tidying up cables and/or using rounded IDE cables
    3. As a last resort, open the side panel of your case

Comment

• poiuytrewqmnbvc
      • Feb 2003

i installed a fan it still didnt work
      i opened the panal it still didnt work
      the wires were already neat and organized
      I even took a room fan and blew it towards the open case and it still didnt work

Please Help Me I just got this computer 4 months ago and it wont work for what i want it to do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

It indicates the problem is not heat-related then. It could either be a hardware- or software-related problem that is causing the instability.

On the hardware-side, make sure that you are not overclocking the system, and/or modifying the CPU voltage (leave it at the normal default values). Otherwise, I'm not sure what other possibilities there are, besides simply "crap" hardware (that you should then RMA instead).

On the software side, keep the number of installed codecs to a minimum (install only those that you need), and make sure that all device drivers have been installed (including the motherboard driver).

Comment

• The Maynard
          • Jan 2003

If I were to guess I would say that you have a mobo with a VIA chipset in it. Am I correct? If this is the case then you probably also have a Soundblaster sound card. Via chips are notorious for problems, as are the VIA chips in general.
          That's just my guess. Give us some specs so we can figure this out a little better. This could be a case of bad ram, bad power supply, bad chipset, heatsink not fully sitting on the cpu... anything.
          Get yourself a temperature program. I recommend Speedfan. That will tell you the temp of the cpu, the ambient temp of the air in the case, the hard drive temp and the mobo surface temp.

Comment

Working...