What the hell am I doing wrong? (newbie)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • i_t_man
    • Feb 2003

What the hell am I doing wrong? (newbie)

OK, I have read the beginners guides and thought this was pretty cut-and-dried but I still managed to screw it up.

I'm trying to encode "Castaway" using Advance bitrate calc v1.95, DVD decrypter, flaskmpeg .06, and Divx pro 5.0.2. I ripped the files just fine then calculated the bitrate using the following:

it's a 144 minute movie, I want a 695Mb file size, 128 kBit sound and a resolution of 464X256. The calculator said I need a bitrate of 530, I created then opened a project file in GK and it gave me almost exactly the same bitrate so I was fairly confident with it.

I entered that bitrate in the codec configuration portion of flaskmpeg (slider bar).

After 3 hours of encoding, I ended up with a file that is 1.8 gigs.

what the heck am I missing? I know it's probably something very simple, I just don't know what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to get this right before I move on to using GK for the whole process.
  • i_t_man
    • Feb 2003

Also when I play it back, it sounds fine but if I fast-forward even just a few frames, the sound get horribly out of synch. So I am anxious to get these bugs ironed out.

Comment

• KillRoy
      • Feb 2003

Just use G-Knot. I use it now and it makes perfect Divxes. All you need is in the package. Advice: folow the tutorial on their site, it was very usefull for me!

Tha Site

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

The most obvious thing would be, that flask screwedup your audio settings, and produced uncompressed audio instead of 128kbps mp3. This might not be your fault, flask is sometimes a bit funny about audio settings.

You can check this in virtualdub by selecting File->'File Information' after loading the avi file into virtualdub.
        Last edited by khp; 1 Mar 2003, 06:47 AM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• i_t_man
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by khp
          The most obvious thing would, be that flask screwedup your audio settings and produced uncompressed audio instead of 128kbps mp3. This might not be your fault, flask is sometimes a bit funny about audio settings.

You can check this in virtualdub by selecting File->'File Information' after loading the avi file into virtualdub.
          Thanks, I was using the Radium mp3 codec, maybe that was the problem. I guess I should just jump in and use GK from now on.

Comment

Working...