Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • momo
    • Mar 2003

DiVX ripping/playback

I am fairly new to the digital video realm but I have many old DiVX discs, some that were never "activated" and I am wondering if it is possible to rip the movies to my hard drive and, if so, how one would do that.
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

what do you mean that they weren't "activated"?
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Re: DiVX ripping/playback

Originally posted by momo
      I am fairly new to the digital video realm but I have many old DiVX discs, some that were never "activated" and I am wondering if it is possible to rip the movies to my hard drive and, if so, how one would do that.
      I'm afraid those discs are pretty much useless now that the company is defunct. The discs can still be used as coasters though . . .

Comment

• theleetbeagle
        • Mar 2003

I believe that since the whole DiVX system is now defunct that you can play those movies at any time as many times as you want. I read a little while ago that they're all now "unlocked." It's a little bonus for investing $$$ into a now failed system.

But if they need activated I wouldn't know how you would do it.

Further, I don't know how you'd rip them w/o capturing them to your computer via your video card (providing it supports Video-In).

NJK

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I read a little while ago that they're all now 'unlocked.'"

Sounds like wishful thinking - or an attempted scam. As far as I know, once they've been played the predetermined number of times, they're best use is as either coasters or doorstops...

Comment

• theleetbeagle
            • Mar 2003

Nah, I don't think so...

Circuit City (or whomever launched this failure-in-the-works) said, "Well, nobody likes our system and why should they? Make people PAY us to watch movies they own more than once? Bah! Well, the next time the DiVX player dials in, we'll send an unlock code that says 'From now on, whatever movies are inserted into this player will not have any restrictions...since our system has failed miserably.'"

NJK

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

The coasters work really good but the hole in the middle lets moister on my table. When my friends come over they are like your dumb for using CD's as coasters. lol The doorstop idea I have to try out...

I didn't know business were burning DivX disc's then putting them on the market. Seems like a bad idea when they got DVD's out for probably about the same price....

SKD_Tech

Comment

• theleetbeagle
                • Mar 2003

You've merely proved that you have no idea what it is that you're talking about.

Do a little research about the FIRST DiVX's and be thyself enlightened.

NJK

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Re: SKD_Tech

The DIVX discs referred here are NOT the same as DivX files merely burned onto CDs. They are completely different.

Anyway, it would be good for owners of those DIVX discs if they can somehow unlock the silly protection on the discs. If I don't own any of those though, so I can't give much input.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by theleetbeagle
                    You've merely proved that you have no idea what it is that you're talking about.

Do a little research about the FIRST DiVX's and be thyself enlightened.

NJK
                    Well as is my mis-understanding you have proved yourself to be um well not something I would liked to be banned for. If I didn't understand what you were explaining.

Thanks for the smart-a%% comment
                    SKD_Tech

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Please refrain from unnecessary abusive words, both of you.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2003

Sorry

Comment

Working...