Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I personally find Convolution3D perfectly adequate for a 175MB episode. I've done other series with heavier motion scenes using the very same procedure I gave above. The results were more than satisfactory and hence I don't see the use of any more smoothers of any further benefits. In fact, the more smoothing you apply, the worse-looking the smoothed video look and I might as well save myself the eyestrain by not working on it.

Since you still see problems in high-motion scenes, try the following:
    1. Check your source. Is the problem reproducible there?
    2. Use 2-pass encoding mode and set the curve compression at no more than 15%.
    3. Use a min/max quantisizer of 2/12 or 2/16.
    4. Input into your AVS file the lines as I elaborated previously. Use no other filters, including VD filters. I see little benefit in doing so.
    5. If you are using XviD, avoid using the MPEG Matrix since it will only result in heavy mosquito noise. Use H.263 or a custom-matrix specifically meant for animations.

Comment

• t3ch
      H4x0r of Gibsons
      • Mar 2003

I'm using h.263; changed the quantisizers (from 2/31).

Besides the ones you listed I'm not using any filters besides Subs in VD (I was using a contrast one, but tweak.dll handles that so I guess that'll be the substitute).

Looking back at the source I suppose I have it as close as I'm gonna get to looking smooth on that scene; it still looks like crap though =/

BTW, should I be using FFDShow? I haven't used it but i noticed you in another post suggested I use it for anime. Not quite sure how to use it though (this is my first encode messing with non-VD filters)

edit >> I'm using what you posted except

telecide()
      Decimate(cycle=5)

It still gives me invalid argument to function; not sure what parameters it's missing
      Last edited by t3ch; 4 Mar 2003, 01:31 PM.
      OGSTH! my webpage
      ----------------------------
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

BTW, should I be using FFDShow? I haven't used it but i noticed you in another post suggested I use it for anime. Not quite sure how to use it though (this is my first encode messing with non-VD filters)
        Yes.

Koepi's plain vanilla decoder is pretty much bug-free, but does not come with any post-processing settings (which is crucial in removing compression artifacts often present). The next decoders (for XviD) that I'm aware of are Nic's and FFDShow. Of the two, I'm leaning towards FFDShow since it does not hog the CPU and is relatively bug-free (I've yet to find one so far).

Using FFDshow is quite straightforward. Launch the Configuration, tick which FOURCC types (e.g. DIVX, XVID, etc) you want FFDShow to take over, and set its level of post-processing settings as desired (I usually set the slider to maximum and tick the 'automatic quality control' selection).

edit >> I'm using what you posted except

telecide()
        Decimate(cycle=5)

It still gives me invalid argument to function; not sure what parameter
        This contributes to the low quality you've been getting, since the resulting framerate will be 29.97fps, instead of 23.97fps (i.e. more frames to compress for the given filesize).

Redownload the Decomb AVisynth Plug-in and replace the current version that you have with it. Make sure that you use the correct version that corresponds to the Avisynth version that you are using.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 7 Mar 2003, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• t3ch
          H4x0r of Gibsons
          • Mar 2003

Well since everytime I do it manually vdub gives me an error, I just did most of the .avs in autodub.

For some reason when autodub types it out vdub likes it more

Well I can't use FFDShow ATM because Windows crapped itself; I haven't been able to get into any settings for over a week (mouse, display, network, etc), so looks like i get to format first.
          OGSTH! my webpage
          ----------------------------
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by t3ch
            Well I can't use FFDShow ATM because Windows crapped itself; I haven't been able to get into any settings for over a week (mouse, display, network, etc), so looks like i get to format first.
            That's one seriously sick system. A reformat is indeed in order.

Comment

Working...