X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dodga
    • Mar 2003

Splitting X-Vids

Hello There

I am pretty new to the game of creating and converting movies although I am not a Computer n00b.

Ok. I have got the ripping of dvd's to .vob files sorted. Pretty sorted when it comes to converting the vob files to .avi's too. After obtaining many movies in X-Vid format and seeing the quality over div-x I have decided that this is the format I want to encode my ripped films. Also All of the X-vids that I have came on 2 CD's.

Now me being a smart arse I decided to encode half the vob files and then tried to encode the the other remaining vob files. didn't work using Flask for the second half because it neglects to load the other vob's in the stream into itself. DUH!

Well now i have pretty much grasped that creating 1 1.4 gig fully streamed avi is prolly the best way to go then using a splitter to create 2 avi's that can then be burnt onto 2 seperate CD-r's.

Hence my question... What splitter do you guys recommend? I have tried virtualDUB but I am having huge probs getting it to stream the audio from the X-vid files.

This is the error i get : Error initializing audiostream decompression. The requested conversion is not possible. check to make sure you have the required codec.

Now i encoded the original x-vid avi using a 20k/s 41KHz 16bit MP3 stream. I do not understand why the codec cannot be found?

Please help.

Thanks in advance!
  • gs0666
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Nov 2001

"I have tried virtualDUB but I am having huge probs getting it to stream the audio from the X-vid files."

Maybe the "plain" VDub don't like the audiotrack.
    Try using NanDub or VDubMod.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Re: Splitting X-Vids

Originally posted by dodga
      Also All of the X-vids that I have came on 2 CD's.
      Perhaps this is the primary reason the XVID video's look better than the DivX video, rather than any difference in the codec's themselves, which are rather minor.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• kolenko
        • Mar 2003

Re: Splitting X-Vids

For splitting avi files, i'm using NanDub.

Here's how you do it:

- open video file
        - select video to direct stream copy
        - select audio to direct stream copy
        - press button home
        - press shift + j
        - select size + press ok
        - press end button
        - press F7

This will save the first part of .avi file.
        Then, for the second part you have to press home button at the same location you've pressed end for first part. Then drag slider all the way to the right and press end. Now save the second part by pressing F7.

Enjoy

Comment

• dodga
          • Mar 2003

Thanks kolenko

Will Give it a bash

Comment

• kolenko
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by dodga
            Thanks kolenko

Will Give it a bash