Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanchope
    • Jan 2002

Replacing corrupt frames

I have a DivX 3 movie that has 3 short 1-2 second sections that contain corrupt frames at the start.
    I am trying to convert the movie to VCD using TPMG encoder but any processing, even using virtualDub results in an error because of these corrupt frames.

What is the best way, or is there any way, to remove the corrupt frames and replace them with say a black frame so that the audio will stay in sync and the screen will just flicker for a second?

Or is the best way to split the file up into good and bad sections and then just stick together the good sections so that the audio and video both skip?

I would prefer to be able to insert a new frame if possible. Is there any way to alter the AVI using the Hex editor with Virtual Dub to just overwrite the picture information for the corrupt frames?

I have tried DivXFix but that stops at the corrupt frames.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul Gabbott
  • abdul
    • Jan 2002

You don't want DivXFix for this

You'll need AVIDefreezer

You use a program called Virtual Dub-mp3-freeze, this one logs your bad frames.
    Then you look up (in normal VDub) were the start of the bad keyframe is and the end

You load these figures into AVIDeFreezer and it will "repair" the bad frames for you

Works like a charm, very very, very hard to tell where the bad frames were
    Only thing is this doesn't work if a large portion of the movie is corrupt but since you are talking about 1-2 sec. ; it should do the trick

(how much is a large portion ? ......................Dunno -trail and error i guess)
    Last edited by abdul; 9 Jan 2002, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• Wanchope
      • Jan 2002

Cheers Abdul, I'll give it a go.
      I have the frame numbers of the frames that V-Dub cannot display - 3 blocks 50, 65 and 860 frames.

Is it likely that all of the frames are corrupt or would this be cause by a bad index file or keyframe image?

Thanks for your help,

Paul Gabbott

Comment

• abdul
        • Jan 2002

The 2 small clusters will be no problem at all for the program to fix

I'm not sure about the large cluster ........ just try it and if the movie doen't show all kind of colours besides the original ones then it also worked for the large cluster

I would appreciate it very much if you would give feedback on the large one
        By trail and error i'm trying to find out to which extend you can repair the bad frames with this program

If VDub-freeze gave you tree clusters that are corrupt, the those three cluster are corrupt
        Just check it in the normal virdub by going to just before the bad cluster starts and run the movie
        most likely it will stop and give you a window with a warning

hope to hear from you that all corrupt frames are repaired

Comment

• woodrue
          • Jan 2002

About AviDefreezer

No doubt this program can be of help, but here's what happened to me...
          opened movie with bad frames (dixv3.11, SBC)
          inserted path to new movie
          inserted start and end position of bad frames

Original movie was 1> GB
          Resulting movie was 2> GB
          According to MS MediaPlayer, that 2 BG movie was a 1.40 minutes movie with no audio!!!
          Note that bad frames started at minute 50 so it can't be that the movie is freezing cause bad frames are past that point
          ...maybe it doesnt handle SBC?

Comment

• abdul
            • Jan 2002

We ARE talking about the same program, aren't we

BTW this example didn't work because the cluster was too large

What i noticed about the program is that you HAVE to type :
            movie-name.avi yourself for the NEW file, because the program doesn't do it for you

When i do the above mentioned the program starts working, sweating and repairing and i will end up with a filesize that doesn't differ that much from the original.

So i don't know what went wrong when you were doing it .......I really don't know whether or not the SCB has something to do with it; that is beyond my knowledge

Comment

• Wanchope
              • Jan 2002

Have tried AviDeFreezer and the VDub-mp3-freeze program.
              I have corrupt frames in the following places:
              frames 3512 - 3562 (50 frames)
              frames 5490 - 5555 (65 frames)
              frames 5737 - 6597 (860 frames)

The program seemed to work and said it was replacing the corrupt frames.
              Re-checking the new file reported no corrupt frames.
              When the movie was played back the frame paused on the last good frame and then restarted 2secs later after the bad block but the audio lost sync by about the same time and is never regained.

Any ideas? I am thinking of just chopping out the bad sections as it is only the 4th or 5th minute of a 2hr movie.
              Have you got any ideas of why the audio loses sync?

Paul Gabbott

Comment

• Wanchope
                • Jan 2002

Movie is Miss Congeniality encoded using DivX3 Fast Motion with Fraunhoffer IIS MPEG audio, if that is any help.
                NTSC-film resolution video.

Paul Gabbott

Comment

• abdul
                  • Jan 2002

There is only one thing i can think of and then i hope that somebody who does know his stuff can help you futher

You say (for instance) you have bad frames 3512 - 3516

Did you :

When you load your movie in VDub and edit ---> go to .... (frame 3500)
                  Then the movie should stop at the bad frame
                  Then you have to hit the left yellow key (keyframe back) and enter THIS framenumber into AVIDeFreezer

You also have to do something simulair to find the end of the keyframe which has the corrupted frame

If you did all this, then i'm sorry ...................... but i ran out of idea's

Comment

• Wanchope
                    • Jan 2002

Yeah, I've tried entering the keyframe span containing the corrupt frames and still get the same audio sync problem.

In the end I have just deleted the frames with corrupt data and then with a bit of extra cutting you can't even notice the missing sections. Good job it is at the beginning and the is no speech.

At least now that you have shown me the Vdub-mp3-freeze I can check the new movies before I burn them onto disk.

Thanks for all your help,

Paul Gabbott

Comment

• woodrue
                      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by abdul
                      We ARE talking about the same program, aren't we
                      Yes, we are, and yes, I did type .avi cause I noticed too that otherwise it doesnt work...
                      I got no idea what went wrong, I guess I'll be cutting bad frames with VirtualDub, the only thing that bothers me is that the movie will be 2 seconds shorter and I'll have to re-adjust subtitles...
                      thanks anyway

Comment

• Wanchope
                        • Jan 2002

I was lucky that the bits I chopped out had no speach in so I didnt loose any important parts of the movie.
                        I am still looking for a program that can just insert user chosen frames where corrupt ones are so that the movie is not altered in any way apart from removeing the corrupt data.

If I find anything I'll let you know.

Paul Gabbott

Comment

Working...