X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halloko
    • May 2003

Divx movie eats up CPU power!

Hi all..

A few days ago I completed a project in 3D Studio Max and exported the 3:37 min movie using the DivX 5.0.2 codec in 640*480.
    I rendered the movie in different parts because of the much time it takes for 3D Studio Max to render frames and I joined all the parts to one file using VirtualDub.

All of this is just fine and the movie is now 100mb huge.
    The only problem is when I try to play the movie. On my computer (600mhz, 384mb RAM) the video and the music are having a hard time following each other. The music runs at a constant rate and several times throughout the movie, the video player needs to synchronize the video with the sound which causes a "jump" in the video stream which, of course, doesn't look too well.
    I've tried running the movie on a 2200mhz machine and the movie runs just perfect.

So.. down to the actual question:
    Is there any way I can re-encode the movie to run more smoothly on "ordinary" computers? I mean, the movie is just 100mb and 3:37 min long.. shouldn't it be possible to make it run without any gaps?

Hope some of you are able to help me..

Thanx..
  • Mark Madness
    • May 2002

Try reducing the resolution of the video. High resolution like 640 x 480 can be stressful on slower CPUs.

Comment

• Halloko
      • May 2003

Yeah.. but I want the video to be pretty large since I'm going to show the movie on a big screen where it'll look much more nice if the resolution is high!

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

To reduce CPU load:

Reduce post processing of the Divx 5.02 codec, or better yet use the FFDSHOW filter for playback instead. Play the files in BSPLAYER (a less cpu intensive software player).

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

1) Turn off all unnecessary background programs

2) Reduce your DESKTOP resolution and color depth (NOT the video)

3) Use good ol' Windows Media Player v.6.4 (If not already set up on your system, from your Desktop>>Start>>Run>> type "mplayer2.exe" [without quotation marks])

Comment

Working...